Hooking it all up (w/TIVO, too)

Discussion in 'Beginners, General Questions' started by StuartR, Jan 28, 2004.

1. StuartR

StuartR Auditioning

Hello:

I'n new to the list and I wasn't sure where to post this:

I can't believe I used to make my living while a starving college student by hooking up "component stereo systems" for folks upgrading from a stereo-in-a-box. And now! I can't figure up how to hook up my home theater.

Why is there no generic wiring diagram covering all possibilities? None of my components covers my situation, which is:

- New HD cable box from my cable provider
    - Philips Tivo (which seems to confuse everyone I speak to in terms of hook-up)
    - DVD player
    - VCR (still)
    - CD player (still)
    - Home Theater Receiver/amp
    - 5 speakers with powered sub
    - HD ready rear-projection TV

So, what goes where and which are the "best" connections? I've searched everywhere. When I moved and the cable guy installed the new box, nothing seems to work as it did. Argh.

Thanks,

stuart

StuartR

2. Johnny Ayala

Johnny Ayala Stunt Coordinator

You have to let us know what connections your TV, DVD, and Receiver have, and if you want your CVR to be able to record off you TiVo. [​IMG][​IMG]

3. Kevin G.

Kevin G. Second Unit

Hey Stuart,
    Don't feel bad, I just brought home a new HD ready tv, and confused myself on hookup. Like you I used to hookup all my friends' stuff and had a good working knowledge of electronics, however, all this new SH#@$T has me in a bunch!!!! (It doesn't help that they have got all these "quick startup guides" with no real manuals anymore)

4. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

hi -

first, read our beginner's faq. lots of good info about how to hook up gear.

also read this.

or, check out monstercable.com - they have a section on schematics.

or, once you've done all that, if you still have specific questions, let us know! [​IMG]

regarding the tivo, i don't have a standalone unit, but i believe you hook them up via the rca connections, then utilize IR blasters to control the cable box. post in our pvr forum for specifics on this part. or go to tivocommunity.com - i guarantee you'll find the answer there.

good luck!

[edit] check out this link from the tivo site:

http://customersupport.tivo.com/tivo...ic/tv1024.htm?