What's new

Hooking it all up: LD, rcvr, AC-3 RF dec. (1 Viewer)

JJR512

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Justin J. Rebbert
I don't exactly have all the pieces of this puzzle yet, but I'm planning ahead, and one thing I don't think I know how to do is to hook up a laserdisc player.
I don't even have the player yet, but I'm getting one with an AC-3 RF output. (Pioneer Elite CLD-79) I don't have a receiver yet, either, but it will probably be the Sony STR-DE985. I already have something to handle the AC-3 RF decoding: Sony EP9ES. Other pieces involved will be a Sony SLV-N88 VCR and Sony DVP-NS715P. The TV will probably be a Sony but will definitely be a flat tube model of 27 or 32 inches (yes, I know the progressive capability of the DVD player will go wasted, but hey...it matches the VCR!).
Looking at the back of the EP9ES pre/pro, it looks like an AC-3 RF signal travels along a standard RCA patch cable. Is that correct? So, do I connect the LD's AC-3 RF out to the EP9ES's AC-3 RF in, then connect the digital out of the EP9ES to a digital in on the receiver? Then connect the video out of the LD player, which I presume will be an S-video, to an S-video input on the receiver? On the back of the STR-DE985, it looks like the only optical digital input that has a corresponding video input is labelled "TV/Sat". I assume I need to use corresponding inputs. The digital inputs on the back of the Sony receiver are grouped together, away from the other inputs, but each has a label that matches a label of one of the regular analog input sections. So I assume if I select TV/Sat as the source, the receiver will use the video from the S-video connector in that section of inputs, along with the digital audio input with the same label.
Is the AC-3 RF the only audio connection I need to make from the LD player, or do I need to hook up the analog connectors for any reason as well? If so, would I hook them up to the analog audio inputs on the receiver's TV/Sat section, and if I did that, how would the receiver know whether to use the analog or digital input?
Getting away from the LD bit for a moment, what about the DVD player. Should I just connect that straight up to the receiver, or for any reason should it go to the EP9ES first? I assume that as far as the digital processing is concerned, like soundfield setup and speaker size and placement and whatnot, the Sony receiver can probably do all or most of the same stuff as the EP9ES, so I guess it's a matter of convenience, but I don't know what will be more convenient.
As you can probably tell by the confusing way I asked these questions, I really don't know what I'm doing here. My previous setup was just a simple DVD player hooked up to a TV. Obviously this is a lot more complex. I appreciate any help you can give me. Some wiring diagrams on the best way to hook it all up would be great, or a detailed but simple explanation. Thanks! :)

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Don't waste your money on the Sony 985 unless you are getting it for a rediculously good price. For the MSRP price of the 985, there are plenty of better receivers. Marantz, Harman Kardon, Denon, Pioneer Elite, Sony ES, Onkyo...

For the LD, I would say the connection method you propose will work. For the DVD, go straight to the receiver.

JJR512

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Justin J. Rebbert
I'm interested to know why you think the Sony 985 is not a good receiver, but so as to keep this thread as on-topic as possible (it will be confusing enough to me, I think, without sifting through off-topic stuff as well), I've started a new thread, for you or anyone else to explain it to me in detail: http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htfo...threadid=97419 Please address all further comments on my receiver choice there. Thanks! :)

Vince Maskeeper

Senior HTF Member

Well - this could be a question of what is doing the D/A stage. If the 9ES works as you stated above (it is able to demodulate the RF into a DD digital bitstream)- then none of the speaker settings in the 9ES should do a damn thing. These settings will only affect the analog outputs from that unit.

-V

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks