What's new

Hooking it all up, HT Newbie (1 Viewer)

Ryan_SD

Auditioning
You think that being a computer programmer and a college grad that home audio connection would be a breeze, however, poorly writter manuals and directions lead me here to people who have been there before. I don't have anything too complex, I just need to know the optimal way to hook it all up. Any input, help, is greatly appreciated.

Receiver: Onkyo TXSR500
TV: Sony KP53HS30
DVD: Sony DVPNS715P
VCR: Old Cheap Toshiba
Cable: No box, just co-ax

Basically my problem lies in the connection for the cable and TV, DVD is fairly easy. When I ran the cable to the TV and video/audio out into the audio in for the stereo receiver, I got very little volume, in fact, the only way I did get any volume was to turn the volume up on the TV too. I know I am missing something, tried to read the directions, none were of any help. Now I have the cable running to the VCR, and video/audio out running from the VCR to the stereo receiver, but the channel changer on the VCR doesn't change the channel on the TV.

Any and all help is appreciated,
Ryan

MattMB

Agent
When I ran the cable to the TV and video/audio out into the audio in for the stereo receiver, I got very little volume, in fact, the only way I did get any volume was to turn the volume up on the TV too. I know I am missing something, tried to read the directions, none were of any help. Now I have the cable running to the VCR, and video/audio out running from the VCR to the stereo receiver, but the channel changer on the VCR doesn't change the channel on the TV.
I've a Sony 32" Direct View TV, and this is what I did on mine to set it up. Your Mileage may vary, but it should be pretty similar.

Use the cable in on the TV instead of the VCR for this, or use the Coax pass through. Connect the cable to the TV. In the Audio menu on the TV there is a setting to turn off the TV speakers. Do this, as you want your audio to go through the receiver. In the menu there may be a option to change volume output on the audio out from variable to fixed. You want this to be fixed. If there isn't an option like this in the menu, check the back of your TV. There may be two audio outs, one variable and one fixed. Use the Fixed output and connect to your receiver. This should allow you to use the TVs tuner, while having the sound be processed by the receiver.

I hooked my VCR up to my TV using a separate input, and have the video/audio out on the TV to connect to the line in on the VCR, should I want to record shows. (rarely)

This works fine for me with my Sony TV and Pioneer D811s.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks