Hooking Computer up to HT for MP3s

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by JasonMIL, Feb 7, 2003.

1. JasonMIL

JasonMIL Extra

Hi all:

This may be an odd question but I'm wondering if there is any way to connect my computer to my receiver so that I can listen to MP3's stored on my computer through my HT speakers. Distance is not a problem since the computer and HT share a common wall in back to back rooms (i.e. the computer in my bedroom is on the same wall as the HT in my living room.) I know I could just run an adapted RCA cable from the computer's sound card to the receiver's AUX input, but I would also still like to hear sound from my CPU's speakers as well, so I would need another jack to plug the computer speakers into. I should mention that the receiver is a Panasonic SA-HE 100K and the souncd card is a simple Soundblaster 128.

2. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
  3. TrevorST

TrevorST Stunt Coordinator

The best way is to run a single cable from the digital out on your computer sound card to the digital in on your receiver. If you don't have a digital out on your sound card then run two rca cables from your sound card analog out to any of the analog inputs on your receiver.

The digital connection will give you the best sound as your receiver is doing digital to analog coversion, but the other way works.

4. Chad_G

Chad_G Auditioning

Jason,

I don't know if you resolved your problem or not but here is what I did. I have an laptop that I hooked up to my HT. I went to radio shack and purchased a connector that plugs into my headphone jack on my laptop.(I think it was $5.00) The connector has the mini pin on 1 end and a left and right RCA connection on the other. I plugged the mini pin into my laptop (headphone jack) and the RCA connections into an available audio input in my Receiver (I think it was CD or something). Put the receiver on the CD input ,then I fire up the mp3's on my laptop and crank it up. I just make sure the MP3's I play are 128bit or better. I sometimes play CD's through the laptop too. You could do the same thing with your PC. Just plug the mini pin where you would normally plug in your speakers. It works like a champ. Let me know if you have any questions. Hope this helps.
    Chad

5. David Lawson

David Lawson Screenwriter

David Lawson
    Another option is the U.S. Robotics SoundLink, a wireless solution consisting of a transmitter (attached to your computer) and receiver (attached to your receiver). You can plug either unit into the wall, or run them on batteries. CompUSA.com had it for $20 a couple of weeks ago, and sold out rather quickly. I picked it up at Micro Center for $30.

The transmitter has a pass-through for your existing computer speakers, and it works just fine. Your computer speaker volume settings are unaffected, so you can even turn them off and just use the receiver as your sound output. I've been using it to stream internet radio stations to the receiver, and while the audio compression is more noticeable, it still sounds better than it ever has through the computer speakers, and I don't think the wireless connection degrades the quality of the streams any more than the lower bitrates already do.

The only minor annoyance is that any system sounds (alerts, etc.) are played, which may be an issue depending on what else you're doing on the computer while streaming music. I usually leave my computer speakers turned off, and I had more or less forgotten that I specified a sound set in Outlook Express. It got annoying pretty quickly.

6. Mark_Su

Mark_Su Agent

If you want to use the digital connection, use a coaxial audio cable and one of those previously mentioned adapters. Plug the coax into the white RCA, leave the red one empty, and hook the cable up to the respective devices. You should be all set.

I've also heard of people using a mono stereo plug with a single RCA jack for digital output, but I haven't tried this yet. Hope this helps.

7. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
    Moved to Computer/HTPC area.