Hooking a Reel to Reel to a computer?...

Discussion in 'Computers' started by todd s, Oct 20, 2005.

1. todd s

todd s Lead Actor

My father has a bunch of recordings on tape. He has a relatively new reel to reel player. I want to transfer his recordings from reel to cd. Without spending a fortune. What hardware & software do I need? I have a cd burner in my computer.

Thanks!

2. D. Scott MacDonald

D. Scott MacDonald Supporting Actor

I'm intertested in doing the same type thing. I assume that hooking it up to the line-in on your sound card is all that's needed, although I have no idea where to buy a reel to reel tape player or what they'd cost (I guess ebay would be a start).

3. SethH

SethH Cinematographer

I'm guessing it has RCA-type outputs? If so, you'll either need a soundcard that can accept RCA inputs (for stereo sound) or an adapter that accepts two RCA inputs and has a 1/8" (or is it 1/16"?) output that plugs into the microphone inputer on your computer.

4. todd s

todd s Lead Actor

Anyone know cheap and easy software to record it onto cd?

5. Tekara

Tekara Supporting Actor

Yeah, use the wave recorder and the media player that comes with windows xp to record and create the audio cds. It's all free and straight forward; However there's no bells or whistles to clean up the audio, but it'll let you do some simple chopping.

If your looking to buy a reel to reel, be careful of the speed. There's a few different standards and I've been busted a once or twice by trying to convert some studio quality reels that were recorded at a faster speed than the reel to reel I have access to supports.

6. Jeff Jacobson

Jeff Jacobson Cinematographer

There's a free audio editing program called Audacity that you might want to try.