What's new

Hooking a DVD player through a VCR... (1 Viewer)

ScottH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Hanson
I recently hooked up a DVD player for a friend, and (grunt) their TV didn't have any video inputs other than the coax. So I hooked it up through the VCR and when we played a DVD (Dancer In The Dark) the picture gradually went dark and then light again throughout the whole movie. I'm guessing it has something to do with the copy protection in the VCR (Macrovision)? Is there any way around this, or will we need to use an RF modulator?

NickT

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Nick
What you saw was macrovision in action. If the TV has no imputs other than rf, then it'll need an rf modulater to playback dvds.

ChrisMatson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris
Not all DVDs have macrovision/activate macrovision. Some friends of mine was able to watch Hanibal and Superman with no macrovision problems while connected through the VCR. They did go by a RF modulator, although I suggested a new TV :D

RobertCharlotte

Supporting Actor
My VCR goes one better. Any picture it deems unusable it converts to a bluescreen and cuts out the audio altogether. Trust me, I didn't waste any time going back for an RF converter!

Brad_V

Second Unit
On some DVD players you can turn the macrovision off through a secret menu, so it would help to know what model # and brand it is.

Otherwise, he's pretty much stuck trying to find a "video enhancer" box. I guess maybe it enhances the picture, but it also removes the macrovision signal.

Users who are viewing this thread