Hooking A CD Player to 2 amps

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by faraz, Jan 27, 2003.

1. faraz

faraz Auditioning

Is ther a way to hook up the CD player to 2 seperate amps. I want to be able to listen to music in the main room as well as my outdoor deak speakers. My CD player has a line out plus a digital optical out. I wounder if I can connect one amp via line out and the other through the optical uot. Any help will be much appriciated.

2. Carl Johnson

Carl Johnson Cinematographer

Carl III
    It's absolutely possible, that's how I have my system hooked up. I've got one CD player but two sound systems. One is connected via l and r rca jacks and the other is using the optical connection.

3. faraz

faraz Auditioning

Thanks a lot Carl.

4. Mike Matheson

Mike Matheson Second Unit

faraz,

"amp" sort of means something specific to most of us (a pure amplifier--no signal/source selection, and except on maybe some tube models, generally no "volume" or gain control). Do you mean "receiver" or such? Built in amplification, but also selects sources, has volume control, probably an AM/FM receiver, etc.? If so, some receivers allow for "dual zone" or "2 zone" controls--you can select one source for the primary output, and a different source (or the same) to your secondary. You'd probably be running RCA style interconnects from the Zone 2 output on the back of the receiver to some type of amplification system in your second listening area.

Radio Shack (and similar places) may have a "splitter" or "selector switch" that might work for the situation you're describing, if your analog-to-one-zone, digital-to-another solution doesn't work out.

5. AaronBatiuk

AaronBatiuk Second Unit

6. faraz

faraz Auditioning

Mike I stand corrected. I was using the term "amp" to mean receiver. I recently got a DA4ES. It has 2 room capability but needs a separate amp or receiver. Another restriction is that only components connected to the analog input jacks can be output through the 2nd room output. Since I have connected my CD player through the Optical input, it will not work. I wonder if I can connect it to the DA4ES through analog and digital (2 inputs in the same amp)???