What's new

Hook up Tv to Receiver help (1 Viewer)

Tim L

Second Unit
I have an older pro-logic pioneer reciever that I want to hook up to. to speakers and my Tv. Do I go through the variable outputs of my TV?- I am also using digital cable in the equation. What would be the easiest way to hook this up? any help appreciated
Tim

Tim K

Second Unit
easiest/best way to do so...

Cable Box (audio out) -> Receiver (Audio In)
Cable Box (video out) -> TV (video in)
Receiver (speakers L&R) -> Speakers (L&R)

I doubt a Dolby Prologic receiver has digital in, but if it and your cable box have digital connections you can use them for the audio (digital coax or digital optical). If not, connect the cable box's audio RCA outputs (red and white) to the receiver's audio RCA inputs (red and white).

As for the video, if your cable box has S-video out and your tv accepts s-video in, connect that way, if not, use the cable box RCA output (yellow) to the TV's RCA input (yellow) or the coaxial cable output on the cable box to the coaxial cable input on the tv. Coax or rca will be about the same quality video signal.

Iver

Second Unit
You need to connect the R/L audio output from your receiver to the analog R/L inputs (probably labled TV but you can also use most other analog audio inputs, whatever's available).

If your TV has a menu setting for "fixed" or line-level output, set it to that. If you only have a variable audio output, be careful to start with it set low.

Follow Tim K's advice on the other connections.

-- Iver

Tim K

Second Unit
You need to connect the R/L audio output from your receiver to the analog R/L inputs (probably labled TV but you can also use most other analog audio inputs, whatever's available).
Well, you would want to do that if you wanted to use the speakers in your TV. I assumed you would want to use your stereo system's speakers.

Tim L

Second Unit
Yes I want to use the bookshelf speakers while watching Tv-i don't see any r/l audio inputs on the receiver- this is what it has for audio inputs:pioneer vsx-455
phono
vcr/tape
ld/dvd
cd
tape 2 monitor

the tv has the following: mitsubishics-35607
tuner
variable monitor
accy

any suggestions? thanks for the replys
Tim

Tim K

Second Unit
that must be an older model as there are no specs for it on pioneer's site...regardless, it should be the same as every other receiver.

You will not see a "audio input" as such. All of the inputs you listed are audio inputs. They just label them with common device names so that you can tell which is which (rather than have audio 1 audio 2 audio 3 etc). With the exception of Phono and tape monitor, all of them will act the same. Phonographs (record players/turntables) have a different output and need a different input...not important here. Tape monitor is an input that will basically overide whatever input you are using and output whatever comes through the inputs marked tape. The purpose of this is for you to quickly and easily "monitor" what you are recording when you are taping something from another source. Again, not important here.

So you have 4 usable inputs (Tape, VCR, DVD, and CD). What other equipment do you want to hook up here, anything? DVD player? VCR? CD Player?

Also, we'll need to know what inputs your TV has on the back of it...both audio and video (if you aren't sure what type, describe the jacks).

Tim L

Second Unit
I will not be hooking anything up to it except for the tv for now- as far as Tv inputs it has only what I described before:
tuner
variable monitor
accy
the others are for video
I didn't think this would be so complicated- the receiver was bought around 1998- so its a few years old- again thanks for the help so far
TimL

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
I didn't think this would be so complicated-
It’s not, Tim. Just follow Tim K’s advice in his first post. The “accy” jacks are probably the ones you want – I assume there are red, white and yellow jacks there? The yellow jack (video) is the one you want per Tim K’s recommendation. You will have to select “accy”, “Line,” “Video,” (or whatever it’s called on your TV – it’s called “Input” on my Mitsubishi TV) ) from the TV’s menu or remote.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Tim K

Second Unit
As Wayne said, its not complicated at all. Its just hard to explain not being able to see the equipment you have. If I could look at it, it would be easy.

I can't advise you on how to hook up the video without seeing your TV, but I think you can figure out how to connect the video out of the cable box to the input on your TV.

As for the Audio...hook up the red and white RCA outputs on the back of your cable box to the red and white RCA inputs labelled "VCR" on your receiver. This will send the audio from the cable to your stereo. When you want to watch TV, just turn on your receiver and press the "VCR" button on your receiver. You do not need to connect the audio to the TV itself as long as you always plan on using the receiver to play your audio through your stereo speaker. If you want audio to come out of your TV speaker as well, you'll have to make additional connections.

Iver

Second Unit
Good spot, Tim. I meant to say R/L outputs from TV to R/L analog inputs of receiver.

Tim L

Second Unit
Thanks for all the replys guys- you are the best!:) with all the info you have provided I'm sure it will all work out-I'll keep you posted- thanks again everyone.
TimL

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation449
Recent bookmarks