Hook Up to Receiver

Discussion in 'Beginners, General Questions' started by J92Devils, Sep 15, 2006.

1. J92Devils

J92Devils Auditioning

I have a stereo with two speaker outputs. The stereo also has a CD Digital Optical Output. My system right now will be basically for only music, and my receiver only has the red and white composite inputs.
    I know this will not make for very good quality but I just want to set up some type of system and I will eventually make it into a high quality system with an HDTV. Also, my stereo has a headphone out jack and I was wondering if I could use a Y cable to connect it to the red and white inputs on my receiver. Also, would there be any difference of the sound that come out of each speaker, because my receiver can output up to 6 speakers?

Any help would be greatly appreciated, and thanks in advance.

2. Seth=L

Seth=L Screenwriter

Can you give us make and models of the component stereo and the receiver. With that info you can better help and understand your needs.

3. J92Devils

J92Devils Auditioning

Sure, the stereo is a Sony CMT-HP7 and the receiver is a Sony STR-D590.

4. Seth=L

Seth=L Screenwriter

You can get a mini jack (headphones) to RCA left and right adapter or cable from radioshack to use the headphone out on the micro stereo. There is a possibility that you will get a ground loop causing a humming sound to emit from your speakers.

I would suggest if money allows to get a newer receiver for about $300. Note that $300 spent on an Onkyo or Yamaha would be better than buying another Sony receiver. Though for the most part reliable the Sony receivers and other audio products as of late have been less and less impressive and over-rated or exagerated power ratings. I am asuming the reason you want to connect them is for CD's. If you have a DVD player, which I assume that you do, while even though it may be single disc and not as convenient it will offer better sound than the micro-system, because of the headphone jack and lesser quality components of the micro-system.

A new receiver will be vastly better than you current one. Dolby Digital vs. Dolby Pro Logic is night and day. Since almost all DVD's have 5.1 Dolby Digital you would be able to utilize almost everything DVD has to offer with a new receiver and an HDTV.

So what is you budget for your upgrades, HDTV, audio, and other Video?

5. J92Devils

J92Devils Auditioning

Thanks for all your help Seth. After reading your post, it appears as though it would be best if the next piece of equipment I bought on the way to creating a good home theater was a receiver. I will look into some good ones that have many audio and video features.

The budget for my home theater is probably $4,000 over the next few months, but I know that I will have to invest more money in the future as newer technology comes out.