Hook up questions..

Discussion in 'Beginners, General Questions' started by KeithRW, Feb 25, 2004.

1. KeithRW

KeithRW Auditioning

I'll start with what I have to make things easier..

Sony Cineza VPL-HS20 projector
    with DVI/Component/HDMI/S-Video/Video inputs
    Sony ES STR-DA5000ES receiver usual high end connections no DVI though.
    Sony ES DVP-CX777ES 400 disc DVD/CD/SACD changer usual high end connection no DVI though.

The native resolution of the projector is 788p if I use the Component out on the DVD player resulting in a 480i/p how do I achieve a 788p resolution on the projector to get the utmost quality from it? Sony says that the projector can convert HDTV, as well as all other signals, can be converted by internal scaler so that they precisely match the projector's 788p native resolution. So if I understand that correctly I do not need some type of DVI out or converter to acheive the best results from my projector?

Also the back of the changer has optical/coax and 5.1ch output...am I correct in assuming that for DVD I should use the Coaxial or Toslink output and to enjoy SACD I use the 5.1ch output? So basically I need to have both those connections made to the receiver at all times for both?

Great forums here btw..ive been looking thru numerous posts getting ideas and getting alot of info.

2. Frank Zimkas

Frank Zimkas Supporting Actor

I'm supposed to be getting my HS20 in the next week to ten days, but I doubt you want to wait that long for me to figure it out.[​IMG] I would think that the OSD will allow you (and me) to select the output mode and scale the input accordingly. I might be mistaken though.

As far SACD/DVD-A play back is concerned, you're on the right path. You'll need to connect the 6 multichannel outputs from the the player to the corresponding inputs on your receiver/preamp. You'll need to switch over to the "EXT. In" setting or "6ch input" mode in order to actually hear the hi-rez playback.

I'd like to see your comments regarding the HS20 video quality.

3. KeithRW

KeithRW Auditioning

Thanks for the reply Frank..once i get the projector and other equip hooked up tomorrow i will gladly post my opinion on the quality of the projector..

4. KeithRW

KeithRW Auditioning

OK as of last night finally got all my stuff connected the screen mounted and the HS20 connected. Absolutley stunning. Jaw dropping.

The quality of this projector is outstanding..the colors are vibrant..yet not overly bright..the image has a very movie like quality to it..the image that is being projected is very bright and sharp..the only issue i have is with the blacks..mostly shadows..they seem to be either too dark or too grey..I will fiddle around with it more since i spent most of my evening last night hooking everything up and didnt really get too much of an opp to really go nuts on settings etc..plus I need to get my Avia disk to really get it set up properly..it also has a lot of nice features in menu lots of customizing options..I swear ive seen projectors costing twice as much as this thing and not have a good a picture quality.

5. Frank Zimkas

COOL!! I'm supposed to get mine on Mar. 3!! Pics, we wanna see some pics!!

6. JeromeB

JeromeB Agent

Keith & Frank,

How did you decide on the HS20? I know it has received rave reviews. Did you consider a DLP projector such as BenQ?

What screens are you using?

Cheers,
    -jerry

7. JeromeB

JeromeB Agent

Frank,

Congratulations. Very nice home setup. How did you decide on a screen size?

At a seating distance of 12-15 feet I figure I can go with 45x80, 50x89 or 60x107. But before I put down the money for a screen I assume I should play with my projector and determine my personal screen size preference.

Regards,
    -jerry

8. Frank Zimkas

A simple toss of a 3 sided coin![​IMG]

Actually I looked at as much info as I could find on the Sanyo Z2, Panasonic AE500, and the HS20. It was a tough choice but I decided that the HS20 was the one for me based on features and reviews by people that had already bought one. I don't have any retailers around here that offer any of these units so I'm really flying by the seat of my pants.

Screen size is based on seating distance from the screen. Check out the Screen Size calculator at WWW.ProjectoCentral.com for sizes and throw lengths. I'll have to defer any more comments/opinions about screen size until I get my HS20 and have had a chance to play around with it for a while.

9. JeromeB

JeromeB Agent

How did you decide on screen finish?

In regards to screens if I could ask: does screen material matter that much? Would a routine Da-Lite Da-Mat finish be reasonable for most applications

I am considering a permanent fixed wall mount (16:9 about 100¨ diag) and the Da-Lite choices cause my vision to go blurry:
    Da-Mat, High Contrast Da-Mat, Pearlescent, Cinema Vision, High Contrast Cinema Vision, High Contrast Cinema Perf, Audio Vision, High Contrast Audio Vision, Da-Tex, Dual Vision and High Power viewing surfaces.

Any recommendations on screen and frame finish. I am looking at a good projector, e.g. InFocus Screenplay 7205, thus light output should be reasonable. Ambient light is controllable so I assume basic Da-Mat finish should be just fine.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,
    -jb

10. KeithRW

KeithRW Auditioning

Ive been lead to believe that different projectors perform differently based on the choice of screen...i would suggest you do a search in this forum and maybe even the internet and see what you can come up with. I found that with my projector based on this and other forums I have read that specific screens can lead to a loss in bright colors make greys look greyer and vice versa.