Hook-up question

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jim Rykel, Oct 13, 2002.

1. Jim Rykel

Jim Rykel Agent

Hi - somewhat of a newbie and I need some help.

Here's my system;
    Yamaha RXV1000
    Toshiba SD-4800
    Toshiba 65HDX82 TV.
    Sony SATB55
    Kef Q55,Q15,Q95
    Velodyne Sub

I'd like to connect my DVD player (using component cables) and my Direct TV (using S-video) to the receiver, then have one video connection (component cables) to the TV. Can I do this?

What is the best way to connect the Audio from the 4800 to the Yamaha?

The Direct TV picture is pretty awful on the new 65HDX - is that due to it being non-HD?

Thanks in advance - I was pretty frustrated last night; video would work, audio wouldn't, change it, opposite effect - considered going back to my old system.

2. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

Hi Jim.

3. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

Ok, I'm back.
    Now that I re-read your post and your question, your problem is obvious.
    You have 2 different types of video signal going into your receiver. This means you must have both types of cables coming out, and you need to switch the TV input when switching the sources.
    Follow the advice about using SVideo for everything through the receiver. This will make your new system simple to operate.
    Get used to the system this way for a few days/ week or so. You've got a lot of fun things to do like:
    - Playing with speaker positions
    - Playing with the subwoofer position
    - Using a SPL meter to level adjust all the speakers and the sub.
    Later, we will add a component video cable straight from the DVD player to the TV and then you have to learn how to switch both the audio and video.
    This is where a programable remote might come in handy.

4. Jim Rykel

Jim Rykel Agent

Bob - thanks so much for the response.

I'll hook the video up like you recommended.

On the audio hook-up; I've got a good cable to run from the coaxial digital output on the 4800 to the coaxial digital input on the Yamaha - but is that ok for the DVD-Audio sound?

Which setting do I select for the output signal; Interlaced or Progressive?

Any other settings on the 4800 I need to check?

My wife and I watched the Sopranos tonight, and we were both disappointed with the picture. You're right, I haven't done much tweaking on the DSS input - which I will tomorrow. Hope it improves!

Thanks again for the great info - any more tips or advice from you or anyone else would be greatly appreciated.

Jim

5. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

Ok, here is the bad news. (I did not recognize that DVD player as being a DVD Audio unit).

The digital connection will work for both DVD's and DVD audio. BUT...the DVD player will down-convert the DVD audio data into standard CD format to feed it through the coaxial-digital connection.

Most people dont like this because why have a higher-density format that gets down-converted?

So you must ALSO hook up 6 analog cables from the 6 outputs on the DVD player to the matching 6 inputs on the receiver to really take advantage of the higher density format.

Since these 6 cables will take care of all the channels of sound, you might even want to skip the coaxial-digital connection.

VIDEO: Well the SVideo output can only be interlace. But the component output is either interlace or progressive. To take advantage of the progressive video, you must:

- run component cables to the TV
    - Tell the DVD to output progressive video
    - Tell the TV to expect progressive video

The trick will be to see if the SVideo output is active while the DVD player is told to output progressive video. If not, you wont be able to easially run SVideo through the receiver. In fact, the better thing to do is:

- Run SVideo straight to the TV from the DSS unit
    - Run component cables straight to the TV from the DVD player & set it up for Progressive
    - Run only the audio from both to the receiver.

You see, there is no advantage to going through the receiver unless you have at least 2 Svideo sources, or 2 Component sources.

So try this:

- Run SVideo straight to the TV from the DVD player
    - Run Component cables to the TV from the DVD player
    - Set the DVD player to "Progressive" mode and get the TV to see the signal.

- Now, flip the TV to see the SVideo feed from the DVD player. Do you get any signal? If so, follow my advice above using SVideo through the receiver. If not, just feed the video from both devices straight to the TV.

Video Quality: Well, The Sopranos is shot with dark/moody tones. How new is this TV? Out of the box, most of these TV's have the brighness/intensity up way high to help the TV stand out on the showroom floor. Make sure the brighness is turned down so that black scenes are black and not grey. This often means you need to close the drapes & reduce the room lighting, but then subtile patterns that you never knew existed will start to appear.

There is something about SVM (Scan Velocity Modulation) that the pros recommend you turn off if possible.

Those TV's often have several settings that are pre-set for CATV vs DVD vs HDTV sources. Check your manual and play with these to make sure the TV knows it's dealing with a standard CATV/DSS source.

Once we get the wireing all done, then I think a separate post in the "Display Devices" section should get you lots of experts who will help you focus on video quality. They may even suggest you spend the few $$$ to have a ISF certified adjustor come out and use equipment to adjust the 30-60 different things on that TV to make it perfect. People who have had it done rave about how better their HDTV's look. But if this is a new TV, you want to simply watch it for a few weeks until it settles in.

But you can do basic brighness/contrast adjustments yourself, and you might want to pick up a copy of the AVIA setup DVD which will talk you through the basic adjustments for the DVD source.

Once you do it for the DVD input, you can take that knowledge and tweek the inputs for the DSS source.