Hook-Up Hints

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Jeff_Hill, Jun 12, 2004.

1. Jeff_Hill

Jeff_Hill Auditioning

Let me start by saying I'm a newbie to all the multi ways to hook up a system. My TV a Zenith is 27" PIP with one A/V and one Variable Audio Output. I bought a Yamaha YHT 800 system( HTR 5550 Receiver, DV-C 6480 DVD and 6 Speakers). I have digital cable( Scientific Atlanta Explorer 2200). I have read many posts and get more confused with all the ways people hook their systems up. Hopefully, talking about mine will help clear things up for me. The cable box has S-Video. The receiver has 2 Audio/ 5 Video inputs, 4 S-Video, and 3 Optical/ 1 Coax Digital input. It has Component but not now for me. The DVD has S-Video and Digital. The Hi-Fi VCR just A/V hook-ups. All suggestions appreciated. Thanks in advance.

2. Don_Berg

Don_Berg Supporting Actor

Try s-video from the cable box and the DVD. Use a fixed audio output (not variable) from the TV to the receiver for best quality audio, use the receiver's volume control instead of the TVs.

3. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne
    Jeff,

It would be helpful to know how you intend to use your system. For instance, do you ever watch TV with the system off – like for the news, or kids watching VCR tapes, etc?

If not, the easiest way is to connect everything to the Yamaha receiver, and let the TV be a video monitor only. This means there will only be a video cable between the Yamaha and the TV, and the TV will always be set to “Video,” “Line In” or whatever the label it uses for the RCA jacks.

Going with that arrangement, S-video would be the way to fly for your gear. Except that your VCR is not S-video capable. Now, if the Yamaha up-converts composite video (i.e., the yellow RCA jack on the VCR) to S-video, there’s no problem. If not, you won’t be able to “mix and match” the two video configurations, so you’ll have to use composite video for all your equipment.

So, connect the video cables from the DVD player and cable box to the proper inputs on the Yamaha receiver. Then run a video cable from the Yamaha’s “Monitor Out” jack to the TV’s “Video In” jack.

For audio, since you only have one coaxial digital input, I hope either the DVD or the cable box has an optical output. Otherwise you have a problem, since you only have one coaxial input.

For the cable box, you might want to also connect the analog (red/white RCA jacks) to the receiver. Some cable boxes do not send digital audio from all channels. You can use the same labeled input for the analog connections as the digital; the Yamaha should automatically give preference to the digital signal if it’s available, and default to analog when it’s not.

For the VCR, connect the red/white audio RCAs to the Receiver.

Now, with everything connected to the receiver, and the TV used as a monitor, when you press the appropriate source button on the remote - DVD, VCR, etc. – you will get both picture and sound at the same time.

If you want the capability to watch TV with the system off, that will require some additional connections and will complicate operation. But if you want to do that, we can make some recommendations.

You can get additional information from this thread, http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htforum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=174664 ]How to hook up your new receiver[/url].

Regards,
    Wayne A. Pflughaupt

4. Jeff_Hill

Jeff_Hill Auditioning

Thanks for all the help. I didn't use S-Video because not sure if receiver would convert. Read a post in Receiver Forum where someone said a switch was in the back but didn't see one on mine. Again, thanks.