What's new

Hook Trivia (1 Viewer)

Adam Sanchez

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Adam
I pulled out Hook these evening to watch and was looking through the trivia on IMDB. I never knew who Glenn Close played till tonight and finally do now... wow I never would of guessed.

I'm trying to find this:

Director Cameo: [Steven Spielberg] Leads the pirates in march onto Hook's ship with Michael's watch on a pillow

But for the life of me I can't! I know Smee (Bob Hoskins) Carrys Hook's HOOK on a Pillow onto the ship... but Michael's watch? What the heck are they talking about and when does it happen in the movie?

On a side note, this is one of my favorite guilty pleasure Spielberg movies, I've just always loved it, and especially the sound track score. I love just about all of John Williams scores, they make the movies what they are. (Can you imagine E.T.'s climax without his music?) But this one is probably the one I like OVERALL the most pieces from.

I think this is like the last Speilberg movie on DVD that doesn't have at least some kind of special edition. It needs one, deleted scenes and such. Maybe someday. :)

Gary->dee

Screenwriter
I think I saw Hook in the theater when it first came out. It didn't impress me at the time. About 10 years later I finally discovered the soundtrack and it blew me away. Without a doubt one of John Williams' best. So I decided to give the movie another try on DVD and I loved it because I had become so familiar with the music. And I didn't think the movie itself was that bad at all. Probably one of Spielberg's most underrated movies. I recall it being panned at the time of its release not only for its gawdy production design but also for the cameo's such as the ones by Glen Close and David Crosby. I don't recall seeing Spielberg's cameo though. Maybe it's in a deleted scene? Somehow I doubt a special edition of this hidden gem has any high priority.

"I've just had an apostrophe."

Peter McM

Screenwriter
Real Name
Peter
Remember as Tinkerbell was carrying a passed-out Peter away to Neverland? Some of her dust fell on two lovers on the bridge, and they started to float. Those lovers were none other than George Lucas and Carrie Fisher.

I like this move, too. It's honestly my favorite thing that Julia Roberts has ever done.

Kevin Grey

Senior HTF Member
I'm a Hook fan myself. It strikes me a movie that was slightly ahead of its time. By that I mean that one of the chief complaints, too busy production design and a very obvious soundstage confinement, would likely have been alleviated a bit with today's CGI.

Matthew Brown

Supporting Actor
Interestingly enough, Hook was a spec script that was sent around to just about everybody on Earth. Spielberg is probably the only person who would have pulled this off at the time or even now.

The script was written by James Hart who also scripted Bram Stoker's Dracula among many others.

Matt

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member

Nope. Always and Amistad are also pretty basic. Granted, Amistad comes with a decent 26-minute documentary, but I don't know if this qualifies it for "special edition" status...

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
PeterMcM,

Excellent observation!

For some odd reason it was the first time I ever saw her in a movie, and I was flabbergasted. A very difficult part too, because almost all of it had to be played on a sound stage without the other actors.

Since then, I've seen her other movies of course - still impressed by many of her performances, she's one of my favourite female actors, but her Tinkerbell owns a soft spot in my heart.

Cees

Joel C

Screenwriter
The Glen Close cameo is there, but she's in drag. I noticed her.

Also I absolutely loathe this movie, but that's neither here nor there.

Brian-W

Screenwriter
I saw this movie when it debuted in the theater and was underwhelmed...but alas, bought it on both LD and DVD and have come to appreciate it.

I haven't watched it in a few years, but last night I spun it up for my family (4 1/2 year old). Not only did he like it, but I've really come to enjoy the film.

I love the chemistry between Hook and Smee, absolutely hysterical. Lots of other touchs I think are well done as well. Lastly, I also agree, one of John Williams best scores.

Here's a side note of trivia - When Sony bought Columbia Pictures, there were plans to open a theme park up, and the set from Hook (pirate ship and all) were going to be reused as an attraction (not sure if as a set, or possibly as a ride)

Ernest Rister

Senior HTF Member
You want some deep dish Hook Trivia?

Here's my favorite story about Hook...

As some of you may know, Spielberg and Roberts were at sword points throughout the making of the film. Spielberg does not tolerate divas, he leads a pro team and expects pro team players. Besides making some eye-rolling diva demands (such as requiring that the shower in her trailer only dispense Evian water), Roberts was having personal off-the-set issues, like highly-publicized romantic breakups with other high-profile actors, emotional issues which she brought onto the set, affecting her demeanour and her realtionship with the crew. Spielberg later said, "I think it was an unfortunate time for us to work together." By not soundly defending her, Roberts called Spielberg a "traitor".

Regardless, here is my favorite Hook story...

Roberts is up in the air, in her Tinker Bell harness. Dean Cundey and his crew are trying to solve the lighting for an f/x shot, and Roberts is growing impatient. Finally, something sets Roberts off, and she yells to Spielberg, "I'm READY."

Spielberg looks up at Roberts.

"And I'M ready. And when THEY'RE ready, we'll ALL be ready."

God bless you, Spielberg.

Tony Whalen

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony Whalen

I knew I liked Mr. Spielberg for a reason. Other than his movies. ;) Nicely done.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks