Hook a turntable up to 8 channel direct inputs ??

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by John Tompkins, Nov 7, 2002.

1. John Tompkins

John Tompkins Supporting Actor

Is there any reason that somebody couldnt hookup a turntable to a seperate phono stage and then from there to a receivers L/R inputs on the 8 channel analog bypass connections ? Wouldnt your reciever just act as a volume control for the turntable/phono stage ?

I just bought the H/K avr 8000 which doesnt have a phono stage but I already have a sumiko phono stage and havent heard anybody mention using the 8 channel imputs in this fashion...

2. Saurav

Saurav Cinematographer

No reason why it shouldn't work. You could hook it up to a regular Aux input too, if you want tone controls or any other functionality. Personally, I'd probably use a bypass input.

3. John Tompkins

John Tompkins Supporting Actor

Thanks Saurav, I dont want to clutter my turntable/phono sound by sending it through any tone controls or digitalizing it..thats why I want to use the analog bypass hookups on the 8000... I dont have an sacd or dvd audio player right now (because turntables are better [​IMG] ) and it would be nice to use the avr8000 for volume adjustment only.

4. Saurav

Saurav Cinematographer

Sounds good to me. Digitizng the output of a phono stage is something I would want to avoid too, it's certainly counter-productive.

5. AaronBatiuk

AaronBatiuk Second Unit

6. Saurav

Saurav Cinematographer

I think most modern receivers would implement tone controls in the digital domain, but I could be wrong, as I've never used a "modern receiver" [​IMG]