What's new

Honeymooners CBS Logo (1 Viewer)

Sky King

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John
Hi All,

I recently watched a 16mm print of an episode of the Honeymooners from the ‘55-‘56 season. The CBS logo at the end of this episode did not have the well known CBS Iris logo. It had another Iris version that looked like the one below.
Its too bad that when CBS/Paramount remastered this set, thIs proper and unique logo wasn’t used to compliment this fine series.

John

Attachments

• B080307A-01B2-4F7A-AD04-D0B93BD0C2C1.jpeg
    B080307A-01B2-4F7A-AD04-D0B93BD0C2C1.jpeg
    54.8 KB · Views: 116

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
Hi All,

I recently watched a 16mm print of an episode of the Honeymooners from the ‘55-‘56 season. The CBS logo at the end of this episode did not have the well known CBS Iris logo. It had another Iris version that looked like the one below.
Its too bad that when CBS/Paramount remastered this set, thIs proper and unique logo wasn’t used to compliment this fine series.

John
The thing is, the above animated logo IS included on the Night Of Broadcast versions of "The Honeymooners" episodes (On the "Hello Mom" episode, at least!), as sourced from 16mm prints. The unfortunate caveat is the general irritating aspect of the Blu-ray format, in which oftentimes the menu pops up before the title completely finishes! Who in sweet hell ever thought this was a good idea? :angry:

screenshot361.jpg

screenshot355.jpg

CHEERS! :)

P.S. I forgot that on Leawo Blu-ray Player, the menu popup headache can be bypassed by using Leawo's Title Menu option instead, although finding the right title by this method can be a headache in itself!

screenshot365.jpg

screenshot367.jpg

Leawo Title Menu (To Bypass Annoying Disc Menu Popup Before Title Finishes Playing!).png

Last edited:

Sky King

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John
The end credits were not taken from the original prints. They are the syndicated credits.

Yes, I understand that and this print had the stick figure characture on the closing credits. Not the syndicated closing.
CBS/Paramount could have easily transferred this unusual CBS Iris to the DVD set.

John

Sky King

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John
Tony,

This is good to know and not having the Blu-ray set, I was unaware of this.
Thanks for this update.

John

Harry-N

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Harry N.
I've always had a problem with the CBS eye logo that is usually seen on THE TWILIGHT ZONE Image sets also being used universally on Image's DICK VAN DYKE SHOW. If I recall correctly, that opening/closing eye was a late-50s/early 60s thing. By the end of the DICK VAN DYKE SHOW, CBS was in its first year of color shows, and I think that the simpler device of a static logo and a voiceover saying "This is CBS" was about all that was used in Van Dyke's later years.

Anyone know different?

Sky King

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John
Harry,

I can’t say for certain, but I believe the CBS Iris logo was retired for good around the time the network went to all color around 1965.
As you stated, the static CBS slide with announcer voice over was then used.

John

Harry-N

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Harry N.
Yeah, but my point is that I think the iris logo has been over-used on the Blu-rays. I don't think it should be there for the full run of Van Dyke shows. It seems anachronistic to me like a relic from the 50s. My personal opinion is that Image got a copy of that iris logo and just slapped it on ALL of the shows they remastered. It looks like the exact same logo every time rather than having SOME variation.

Don't misunderstand me, I love seeing that, and am happy that it was used. I just think it was tacked on, rather than being something that was actually on the film elements that were used to make the DVD/Blu-ray sets.

I'm pretty sure that certainly the later Van Dyke shows would have used the static logo or one with clouds moving while an announcer said "This is CBS".

1611578626918.png

Last edited:

Sky King

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John
Harry,

The CBS logo with the moving clouds background, is from the same era as the
CBS Iris logo. I doubt later versions of the Dick Van Dyke show would have used the “moving clouds“ logo. CBS used the static CBS slide with the announcer voice over from the mid ‘60s on.
I agree with you that the Iris logo In question, was just lazily attached to all early CBS DVD sets. There were many other early CBS network id’s used, but not properly included in DVD sets.

John

Wiseguy

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Erich P. Wise
The thing is, the above animated logo IS included on the Night Of Broadcast versions of "The Honeymooners" episodes (On the "Hello Mom" episode, at least!), as sourced from 16mm prints. The unfortunate caveat is the general irritating aspect of the Blu-ray format, in which oftentimes the menu pops up before the title completely finishes! Who in sweet hell ever thought this was a good idea? :angry:

P.S. I forgot that on Leawo Blu-ray Player, the menu popup headache can be bypassed by using Leawo's Title Menu option instead, although finding the right title by this method can be a headache in itself!
Although I do have a DVD player, I usually watch DVDs on my computer. Sometimes I notice that at the end of an episode the logo (or end of episode if no logo) will be cut off somewhat. Trying different episodes on that disc will lead to the same result (even on homemade DVD-R discs). However, one time I noticed after ejecting the disc and re-inserting same disc, the problem was no longer there. The logos played fully. Ever since then, I've noticed the logos cut off even though the physical time counter hasn't reached the stated end yet. Have no idea what causes it (something to do with the computer drive?), but apparently, for me, it's only a temporary problem.

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony

View attachment 86663

View attachment 86664

View attachment 86665

View attachment 86666

View attachment 86667
Although I do have a DVD player, I usually watch DVDs on my computer. Sometimes I notice that at the end of an episode the logo (or end of episode if no logo) will be cut off somewhat. Trying different episodes on that disc will lead to the same result (even on homemade DVD-R discs). However, one time I noticed after ejecting the disc and re-inserting same disc, the problem was no longer there. The logos played fully. Ever since then, I've noticed the logos cut off even though the physical time counter hasn't reached the stated end yet. Have no idea what causes it (something to do with the computer drive?), but apparently, for me, it's only a temporary problem.
Thank you for that insight, Erich! I'll have to recheck one of the Night of Broadcast episodes on our Blu-ray player, at some point, to see whether the premature menu popup is strictly a product of PC playback, in this case!

ScottRE

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
Gotta say, this is the version I remember the most. I'm an extremely nostalgic person so when I watch a classic show, I prefer to see the version I grew up with. That goes for Logos, and in this case it's Viacom.

I usually have two versions of a show on file: Night of original broadcast (when possible) and Syndication Childhood. Both usually take some research and editing.

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
I always found it odd that none of the guest stars were mentioned in the closing credits.

Very weird-- if they wouldn't mention/bill the guest stars, how were we supposed to know who they were?

ScottRE

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
Could it be they just did one end credit for the whole syndicated run? Did they leave the guest stars off the original network broadcasts?

This one doesn't list anyone, but I don't know if it's from an episode that only featured the main cast...

Lord, I love the full version of this theme. The syndie version was slightly edited. Such a sweeping piece of music and it really brings up nostalgic feels of staying up late to watch the reruns.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation449
Recent bookmarks