honesty about plasma panel

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Jan asa, Aug 24, 2005.

1. Jan asa

Jan asa Auditioning

I'm going nuts with all the professional reviews that say everything is really great and looks colossal and is the end all etc etc.
    I am interested in a plasma only panel,no speakers attached and no internal tuners for my media room in the 50-60 inch size. Cost is not the issue I hope. Can you please recommend 2 or 3 alternates that are drop dead in features and delivery? Help !! [​IMG]

2. Kevin C Brown

Kevin C Brown Producer

Look for the Panasonic professional models:

http://catalog2.panasonic.com/webapp...tGroupId=14624

They get rave reviews over on AVS. I am thinking about one for myself. Same panel as the consumer model, but the professional model gives the user more easily accessible parameters for tuning the picture.

But typically you do have to buy the table stand separately, and a separate "blade" (input card) for an HDMI (or DVI) input.

The 7uy's are last years models. The 8uk's are this years. More 8uk's are coming, and the prices will be lower.

They are heavily discounted. Look online at TV Authority, Visual Apex, PC Connection, etc. TVA gives you even more of a discount if you mention you're from HTF.

3. Shane Martin

Shane Martin Producer

Kevin is correct. I would also add Pioneer to that list. Their newest panels will rival the black levels of the Panasonics while also being brighter.

Prices should be competitive with Panasonic

4. Paul Padilla

Paul Padilla Supporting Actor

I use the consumer version, but Pioneer's industrial panels are rated very highly.

Don't forget that when you go for the panel only versions, individual cables have to be run all the way to the screen itself. The media receiver that comes with consumer models allows connections to be made to it and then a single cable from it to the screen. Food for thought.

5. Mort Corey

Mort Corey Supporting Actor

Fifty inch panels have gone up in quality and down in price over the last couple of years. Sixty inch units are still pretty pricey (IMO) and the selection and availability is not as good as with the fifty inchers.

Panasonic, Pioneer or Fujitsu....you can't go wrong.

Mort

6. Jan asa

Jan asa Auditioning

thanx to all. sounds pretty consistent with the reviews. forgetting cost please give me your 1st choice. [​IMG]

7. Paul Padilla

Paul Padilla Supporting Actor

Mine, of course.[​IMG]

Seriously though, 5 people are likely to give you 5 opinions.

For industial (no tuner, etc.) the Pioneer PDP-504CMX

For consumer (with tuner, media reciver, etc.) the Pioneer Pro 1120 or 1110 if you can find it.

Both 50" models. Price aside, the 60" plus panels are still a little new for my taste.

8. Leo Kerr

Leo Kerr Screenwriter

We've got a load of Panasonic industrials at work; they're fantastic.

I haven't seen recent Pioneers closely, but we've had a bunch of Pannys from the 3, 4, 5, and 6 series that have been great and reliable. (we've got a TH42PWD3u (I think) from fall 2000 with ~16,500 hours on it - running video only. It's getting a little dim compared to new displays, but it still looks pretty good.)

We had one JVC; it developed some troubles after a couple of years. The Fujitsus that we have are OLD! Circia 1998. The spot size is huge, the contrast is poor, but they're troopers.

Hitachi makes a nice 37" 4:3 screen.

I've not been impressed with the monster Samsung displays - we've one of the first ~70" displays, and it's pretty horrid. The image latency is incredible.

Go with the Panasonics...

Leo