What's new

Honest Opinion on Satellite TV (1 Viewer)

Greg_P

Stunt Coordinator
Hi All,

I too am going to piggyback on this thread, hope it's OK "Djordje".

I too am a current analog cable customers and am thinking about making the switch to DirectTv. As I peruse the DirectTv website, here is what I believe my monthly cost would be:

TC + programming $39.99
2nd box $4.95
Direct Tivo $4.95

That part I can live with. Here's where the problem comes in for me. I'm trying to keep my monthly costs down. I'd like 2 additional premium channels (HBO and New England Sports Network). Based on what I'm reading on their website to get HBO would cost me an additional $12 for their "HBO package". To get New England Sports Network I'd have to buy another of their premium packages for $11. Is there any cheaper way of getting these 2 channels without having to pay another $23 a month for them. Including my premium channels I'm now looking at roughly $73 per month and any other taxes they charge per month. Anyone know any packages that would allow me to get that cheaper.

Thanks!! And sorry for the "thread hijack" !

Greg

Chester II

Stunt Coordinator
Dudes,

I read yesterday in the Wall Street Journal that Comcast is putting together financing to place a hostile bid for DishNetwork ! ! !!! ! C R A P ! ! ! ! ! ! just kidding....

Comcast here in Berkeley, California recently downgraded the quality of their High Definition channels in order to stuff more standard definition programming into their cable service. My response has been to have Dishnetwork installed with HD service on Sunday. I'll pay about $20 a month less and have MORE channels. I CAN'T WAIT ! ! ! ! ! ! !

Dudes,

Chester II

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member

It depends on each cable company and each system (location or city) for each company. For those with older system, there is no potential for any HD systems. Any company laying down a system today (or more likely replacing an existing one) could provide enough bandwidth for all current HD channels (and SD of course), plus room for significant growth.

It is very hard to give specific numbers without knowing the physical infrastrjucture in existence in each location.

John_F

Stunt Coordinator
Lew,

Why doesn't satelite have the same potential? Couldn't I just as easily say: "Any company putting up a new satelite system today (or more likely replacing an existing one) could provide enough bandwidth for all current HD channels (and SD of course), plus room for significant growth." Please note that I am not talking about Direct TV being able to carry all local HD broadcasts.

When you say "all current HD channels, plus room for significant growth", how does this translate to total HD channels (feel free to give me two estimates, one using an "existing" cable system, and one for a "typical" cable system that was totaly replaced). Charter Communications where I live "upgraded" there cable system recently, and I was under the impression that they would still have problems carrying "a lot" of HD channels.

I guess I would like to hear some hard numbers. For example: "Charter Communications announced today that they plan on updating there Connecticut Cable system; Their goal is, by 2006, they will have the capacity to carry 50 SD/Digital channels and 50 HD channels". Has any cable company made an announcement like this?

Thanks,
John Flegert

Heath_E

Stunt Coordinator

There has been some talk that Disney may be eyeing Dish Network as a defensive move to fend off Comcast.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation562
Recent bookmarks