What's new

HONDO (Paramount 1953) up for pre-order (1 Viewer)

Richard--W

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard W
at amazon: http://www.amazon.com/Hondo-Blu-ray/dp/B006YZOXDK/ref=wl_mb_hu_m_16_dp for June 5 release. No details yet, and no mention of a 3-D option. C.C.C.A. instead of poster art.

Bob Furmanek

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bob
That last item is a die cut card used on top of the View Master display cabinet. There were preview reels for 27 of the 3-D movies from 1953/54 and the display cards are even harder to find than the reels!

Richard--W

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard W
Those Hondo 3-D ViewMaster reels have been out-of-print for fifty years ... half a century. Wouldn't it be nice if a collector who has them transferred them side-by-side to DVD-R so that they could be viewed as stereo pairs with a Lorgnette viewer.

Bob Furmanek

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bob
Actually, they haven't been printed since 1953! They were only made at the time of the films theatrical release. Bob

Richard--W

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard W
Okay, out-of-print for 60 years. I would reproduce the stereo pairs right here if I could get them.

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
I'm pretty sure if this were going to be a Blu-ray 3D release the retail price would be a lot higher than $24.99, because the general practice is that 3D releases are 2D compatible which is generally accomplished with separate discs in the package.

Richard--W

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard W
Aha! You have one of the two reels! I suspected as much. Can those frames be scanned individually?

Bob Furmanek

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bob
There was only one reel made and yes, I have it. I'm saving the image scans for an upcoming project... Here's an ad for the cabinet showing the HONDO display card. The reference to 3 reels is mis-leading. There were 3 viewers in each cabinet and when a theater ordered the promotional packet, he got 3 copies of the same reel for each film.

Bob Furmanek

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bob
Thanks Richard, I've had the full set of View Master preview reels since the mid-1980's. Even then, the prices were getting out of hand!

Richard--W

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard W
So, what is this project, and how long must I wait to see the stereo pairs? Of course, the real Apache scouts didn't look much like John Wayne in these 1870s stereocards:

Bob Furmanek

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bob
Believe me, as soon as I'm ready to announce, you'll be hearing about it! Bob

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks