What's new

Honda vs Toyota...opinions wanted (1 Viewer)

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member

I'm curious. What do you consider fast? I have a TSX with a 200HP four cylinder. I was passing someone on the highway one day. When I looked at the speedometer, just after pulling back in, I was doing a 165 Km/hr (~100MPH). And I still had lots left on the accelerator. I'm sure I could do well over 200KPH.

I'm not sure I entirely agree about it being a quiet ride. It is not bad, but quite a bit of road noise is transmitted into the cabin. I wonder if there are differences in soundproofing between the American and Canadian models. I do agree about the handling. It is pretty agile for its size and weight.

In the original poster's case, the car would probably be unsuitable because it is not what would be called a comfortable ride. The suspension is set up stiff and you feel every bit of the road. Ever since I bought the car I am reminded of just how deteriorated the roads are in Canada. Not that I mind, since I do not like the spongy feeling of soft suspensions. The car has good get up and go when using the sportronic shift.

The car still has somewhat of a sporty look (even with 4 doors). I was originally looking at the RSX coupe, but decided on the TSX, because the seats were just more comfortable. I'm not a big fan of 4 doors, but once I got used to the ones on my car I realized just how useful they are. The one big downer about the car is the requirement to use "premium" fuel only.

The main thing is to go with what you like first. Reliability is fine, but it is going to be meaningless if all you'll do is think "I wish I had bought the Solara".

Edited to add a couple of comments.

Scott L

Senior HTF Member
Well considering my '96 maxima (which I don't think is fast at all) is quicker than the tsx, I wouldn't really call the acura a fast luxury sedan. Getting over 100mph is cake on most modern cars, it's how fast you get there, and the TSX really has to put in some work to do it. Even my bro says he enjoys the power delivery when he drives my 10-yr old car.

Not trying to dissuade anyone from buying the TSX. It's a great car, though if you want the same amenities w/decent power, move on up to the TL.

Ray Chuang

Screenwriter
Linda,

If you're willing to sacriface just a little power seriously consider getting a 2006 Honda Accord LX coupé with the five-speed automatic. I've test driven one and even with the 166 bhp (SAE 08/04 net) 2.4-liter four-cylinder engine the car has surprisingly decent acceleration up to almost 90 mph! :eek:

Given what you wrote about the type of commuting you do:

My suggestion for the 2006 Accord LX coupé maybe just what you need. When the price of gas zooms over US$3.00/gallon for 87 octane unleaded you'll thank me for my suggestion! :D

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave

I thought the TSX came in a V6 version with ~300 HP.

So, from us you've learned that the Acura TSX is a cheap, underpowered sedan with a fast, powerful 4-cyl engine that gets nearly 300 HP in its V6 and is a luxury sedan.

Glad you asked for help, eh? :D

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
I think from reading her posts that the interest is sparked more by wanting something with two doors that's somewhat sporty, looks great inside & out, has good utility. I would guess that someone who has owned and been happy with Camaros would not be dissapointed with the reliability of a Mercedes-Benz, despite the recent relative downturn.

If you're dead set on the two door versions of Honda and Toyota's family cars, either is going to be a good choice, I agree with the above advice to test drive them and see what you like.

The problem with this category is that there is very little to choose from. Very few companies are making sporty two door cars that are fun to drive, but still have room to seat four or haul a bunch of groceries.

The C230 Kompressor Coupe has a 195hp supercharged four which doesn't meet Linda's "V6" and "200hp" requirememts, but I'm sure the power/weight ratio more than makes up for the small power difference.

I will tell you this - my wife's handles like a sonoofabitch (maybe will have higher tire cost than your Camaros did) and MOVES when I jam on the gas and downshift. Plus the rear has loads of space for shopping and hauling, and the back seats are usable.

It's not as good a car from a mechanical reliability standpoint as the Honda or Toyota, but it sure looks great inside and out, is loaded with fantastic amenities and safety features, handles amazingly, and is extremely fun to drive. Rear wheel drive with traction / stability control and big fat low profile tires. Read about it here. I think these great little cars didn't sell well because nobody knew about them.

That six speed is CRISP I'll tell you.

Scott McGillivray

Supporting Actor
I own a 2005 Solara SLE V6 and I really like it. Like has been mentioned, it is really, really well built. Very solid and has a quality feel to it.

I am a smidge over 6 feet tall and I find it very comfortable. The power seats have lots of adjustment as well as the telescoping steering wheel.

Performance is pretty good. It is no V8 muscle car, but it runs very smooth around town and has enough power to quickly pass others on the highway.

I bought a black one which I think looks fantastic, but is a major pain to keep clean.

Let me know if you have any specific questions for me!

Shane Martin

Senior HTF Member
The TSX only has a 200hp 4 cylinder. I probably misread your post though.

Linda,
Why not a used Infiniti G35 coupe? or even a Nissan 350z?

Something else to consider: Some cars need premium gas. While it's only a few cents a gallon. They'll add up when gas goes up if it does. You may not care though.

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member

She should go with the one that she wants the most, assuming that the Accord and Solara are the two finalists. Reliability should not be a factor when she makes her choice, because both of these brands have a reputation for reliability. If anything, Toyota is still a slight cut above Honda in terms of quality.

Like you said in an earlier post she needs to test drive both cars.

Linda Thompson

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Linda
Scott...thank you for the Solara-specific comments! :)

As for test-driving...easier said than done. Online inventory searches show only 123 SLE V6s in the entire Southeast, with NONE local. That's why I noted earlier that I won't be test-driving until I'm much closer to making an actual move.

For my second Z28, I had to go all the way to Tom Jumper Chevrolet in Sandy Springs, Georgia. (Before the days when everybody had internet access.) I did a local test drive and was ready to buy. The local dealer located the exact car that I wanted (in Sandy Springs), but wouldn't have it trucked in. He was going to charge me a non-refundable $500 to have it DRIVEN back, whether I accepted the car or not. (I was willing to have a legally notarized agreement that, if the car was trucked in, and was exactly as specified and agreed upon, I'd sign on the dotted line, including the standard destination charges, of course. He wouldn't agree.) So, I managed to find out where the car was located (he, of course, would not willingly divulge that information), so my Dad and I called Sandy Springs, set up an appointment, and hit the road. I was determined to have the car broken in MY way...those first few hundred miles can be critical. The salesman at Tom Jumper greeted us with keys in hand, car freshly washed and filled. We did the test drive, signed the papers, and headed home (it was December, and there was snow and ice about half the way). First thing I did when I got back into town was to drive through the local lot, honk, and wave at the stubborn local salesman. Funny...he didn't look as happy as I felt... :D

So, when the time comes, I'll gladly go wherever I need to to get things taken care of, but I'm not at that point yet.

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
Wow that really makes things difficult having to go so far for a test drive.

The neat thing about the Solara is that it looks just like the expensive Lexus sportscar for a fraction of the price.

Take a look:

I don't think it's just me, I think these cars look almost identical. The prices aren't though.:eek:

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Indeed. That also means you can look for a good used car as easily. (if you were so inclined).

I like the new Solara convertible. That would be fun.

Danny Tse

Senior HTF Member
I believe a brand-new Camry is coming out for the model year 2007 (pics are already available online), which means an all-new Solara isn't far behind. You may want to factor that into your decision.

Linda Thompson

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Linda

My thoughts exactly, which is why I'm doing all this research NOW.

I figure I'll need to have everything in order and be ready to make a concrete decision when the 2007s hit the showrooms. If I like the 2007s (as I hope I will), I can wait a while longer if I want to. I do still love my Thunderbird, and I totally dread the thought of parting with it. That's why I haven't even been considering anything new before now.

But, if I really don't like the 2007s, I can probably still snag a suitable 2006, maybe even at a better price... I know choices will be more limited then, but, with all that comes standard, there are only a couple of things I'd want/need to add on as options anyway...

There's a "rear spoiler" package...which is just that, and there's another option package which "Includes front and rear side curtain airbags, rear spoiler, Vehicle Stability Control (VSC) with Traction Control and Brake Assist." I could accept either of these. (I definitely want the spoiler, and I'd like all the rest...except the airbags. But, no choice there.)

The only two other available options packages each include a DVD navigation system and XM Satellite Radio capability, neither of which I want (and certainly wouldn't be willing to pay for).

I definitely want red, and I'd prefer the dark interior (rather than the tan), but I could settle for either.

With such limited option choices (because everything else comes standard! :) ), I figure I stand a halfway decent chance of still getting something VERY close to what I want, even that late in the model year.

So, "new model year" turnover time will be my major decision-making crunch time, and I wanna be ready, just in case the 2007 models just don't interest me.

And, Philip... From those pics, I actually like the physical appearance of the Solara better than the Lexus! :)

Shane Roach

Stunt Coordinator
Linda,

I'll echo the other Shane's suggestion. If you don't absolutely need to get a fresh-off-the-truck brand new vehicle, give the Infiniti G35 coupe a look. New ones are in the mid-30s depending on options, but well-kept 2003s can be had for mid-20s. You're obviously not scared of rear-wheel drive, so you'd probably prefer the feel of it over the Solara and Accord.

The other two coupes are nice-looking cars in their own right, but the G35 is dead sexy and makes them look frumpy and boring in comparison. If you look around it's fairly easy to find with a 6-speed manual, and I'd highly recommend it. Manual G35s come with large Brembo brakes, which, somewhat ironically, both stop better and wear better than the standard brakes on the automatic versions

Steve Schaffer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Schaffer
I've worked in the service dept. of a largish Toyota dealer in central California for almost 35 years. I'd characterize the current Solara as the most logical choice for someone who loved the last generation of 4 seater T-Birds.

They are among the most trouble free of all Toyota's current offerings from every standpoint--I think we get fewer warranty complaints on them than on just about any of the other models, and given Toyota's overall excellence in this respect that's saying something.

I personally prefer something with sportier handling and a manual shift, as well as a bit smaller size, and love my Mazda 3S sedan, but that's a whole different kind of car.

The Solara is exceedingly smooth and quiet while still having decent handling capabilities, and it's acceleration is probably on par with if not in fact better than your V8 T-bird's while definitely getting better mpg.

If things run true to form the current Solara will continue unchanged for a year or so after the introduction of the '07 Camry in a couple of months. The first generation Solara, which was based on the 97-'01 Camry platform remained the same for the entire 02 model year despite the Camry being all-new for that year. The current generation Solara didn't arrive until the '03 model year.

Solaras are pretty much American cars--they are built in the US exclusively, even the engines, and are not sold in any other market outside of North America.

Since you live in the Southeast you should be aware that the Southeast and Gulf states are served by an independent distributor, not TMS USA as in the rest of the country. Some of the PIO options (Port Installed Options) added by this distributor are not authorized by Toyota Motor Sales USA and won't be warrantable outside of your region. So be wary of add-on alarm systems and such when you buy your car. Things like the Stability Control system and extra airbags and such are not affected by this, only supplemental alarms and non-factory leather seating etc.

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
Sometimes you can get KILLER DEALS on the previous body style when a new model is introduced. When I bought my Subaru Legacy in April 2004 the new body style 2005's were right around the corner, and as a result Subaru was offering massive rebates and all the dealers were dropping the prices on their own as well because they wanted to make room for the spiffy new model. I got my Legacy for more than 25% under sticker, and well below invoice (Subaru doesn't have as big of a markup between sticker and invoice as most other car companies).

However, be careful you may not have that much to choose from when it comes to colors and options, particularly on a small volume car like the Solara.

This does adversely affect resale, but if you plan on owning the car for more than 4 years or so that should not be a concern.

Stephen Orr

Screenwriter
My wife and I have only purchased Toyota since the late 80s (Corolla (2), Tacoma (1) and Camry(2)). We don't have any experience with Honda, except for a scooter I bought once.

Linda Thompson

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Linda
Steve Schaffer - thank you for the info...MUCH appreciated! :)

Philip...Every car I've bought new, I've kept for several years.

1st Z28 - 5.5 years (Feb '84 till it got totalled in Oct '89; not my fault)

2nd Z28 - 8 years (December '89 thru Nov '97)

Thunderbird - 8+ years (Nov '97 till now...still going strong, and I'm still loving it!)

I like to drive my money out of a car...that's why it's so important to me to find one that I'll be happy with for the long haul. It's looking more and more like the Solara will be my next long-time companion (still dependent upon the test drive, of course).

Thanks again to EVERYONE for all the input. I've thoroughly enjoyed this discussion, and I appreciate everyone's participation, suggestions, and contributions...and for just allowing me to think out loud and use you all as my sounding board. You've all been very helpful. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks