What's new

Honda or Makita 4 stroke string trimmer? (1 Viewer)

David Werner

Stunt Coordinator
Looking at replacing the ol' yard smoker and oil spewing weedeater string trimmer we have now. I have decided on a 4 stroke engine and have narrowed it down to one of these two models:
Honda UMK422LTA
Makita EM4251
If anyone has any experience with these models, please let me know. Thanks :)

Scott Strang

Screenwriter
Hi David;
Whenever one gets off the beaten path of a simple but reliable 2 cycle engine, more potential for problems go into the mix. I've talked to several people that bought the 4 cycle models (Honda and Ryobi) and found them to be tempermental and the lubrication was often a problem.
The oil pan and how it maintains the oil's contact with the moving parts seems to be the real rub here. I don't know what they use (dry sump, splasher, pump..etc) but with all the different positions in which the trimmer will be used, they still seem to be likely to not lube correctly.
Now look at one of the names making these; Honda. Honda has always been a staunch advocate of the 4 cycle engine just as Pioneer and Phillips is with optical recording technology. I would guess that if any company can make it work, it will be Honda. But it will be done at a price that's more than comparable 2 cycle models.
If you hate the smoke, why not buy a Stihl trimmer (still cheaper than Honda 4 cycle) and use one of the low-ash 2 cycle lubes. Just make sure you're using 2 cycle oil meant for air cooled engines and not water cooled.
------------------
We are the citizens of the United States of America. Resistance is futile. We CANNOT be stopped so don't bother trying.

David Werner

Stunt Coordinator
Scott Honda's website states the motor operates in any position 360degrees and that it has a diaphragm type carburetor w/fuel pump. I'm starting to lean more to the Honda trimmer. It is available at more locations, with service departments. Reviews on the web looked favorable for the Honda, I haven't come across any for the Makita. Thanks for the info.

Philip_G

Senior HTF Member
hey someone from ND.. very cool. or not, I guess depending on if you like it here or not.
Anywho I've never owned a honda trimmer, but I have owned honda mowers and find them to be fantasic

Scott Strang

Screenwriter
I might get one too then. Honda products are always of the highest quality.
------------------
We are the citizens of the United States of America. Resistance is futile. We CANNOT be stopped so don't bother trying.

David Werner

Stunt Coordinator
Gene I've heard STIHL used to be highly regarded for string trimmers, but recently has been having some QC problems for awhile. As quoted by some lawn care personnel (And I'm sure everyone of them has their own opinions)"Not what they used to be."
I wouldn't mind buying the STIHL as it is about $120 cheaper than the HONDA, but I'm after reliability and quietness.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation554
Recent bookmarks