What's new

Honda CR-V...Opinions? (1 Viewer)

SteveLa

Stunt Coordinator
I've been tossing around the idea of getting a new vehicle soon and I'd pretty much decided to go with a smaller sized SUV. The two models I'd been looking at until now were the Chevy Equinox and the Hyundai Tucson. However, I got a look at some of the CR-V's on the Honda lot when I went with my mom to get her deal on a new Civic. The review from Consumer Reports is outstanding and the interior looked nice from the outside. The other thing that floored me was the resale value on the Hondas. My mom got $3K for her five year old Civic with 117K miles. So tell me, does the CR-V deliver the goods...are the kudos for it well deserved?

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
I have a friend who has one - a 2002 I think - and he seems very happy. I've never heard him complain about it.

PaulP

Senior HTF Member
I have a 2004 one and I love it. Handles extremely well, and I'm sure all the kudos are well-deserved.

Christ Reynolds

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CJ
my girlfriend's parents have an 02 crv, and they seem happy with it. i drove it when we had to pick them up from the airport, it seemed to handle pretty well, and had decent pickup. also the interior was (no offense to honda owners) better than most hondas ive seen. i get the feeling that i'm in a rental car when i'm in my girlfriend's 02 civic, it just feels very temporary. the door panels feel hollow, you can hear every noise when you hit a bump.

it's no secret that honda makes reliable automobiles, i'm just not a fan of the presentation sometimes. if i were in the market for a smaller suv in that class, i'd definitely buy the crv.

CJ

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Runs great and drives nice (I have a 2004), but it's a pretty rough ride and fit and finish doesn't seem to be the greatest. Some peeves with mine:

--The driver's door doesn't seem to fit snugly in its frame. Everytime I hit a bump in the road, it seems to flex/rub where the top gasket meets the frame, and makes noises. Annoying at first, but I've learned to ignore it now.

--A cup holder that doesn't like to open or retract smoothly.

--A glove compartment that doesn't close tightly. When driving with the lights on at night, the light keeps flashing on and off as whenever you hit a bump and the door jiggles (the light only comes on when the vehicle's parking/headlights are on, so there's no danger in running down the battery.)

--An interior cargo light that doesn't always go off when the tailgate closes (the switch was set correctly, I checked it several times). I finally just shut it off manually by the switch after looking out my window a couple nights and seeing the interior of my vehicle illuminated.

--Various squeaks and noises presumably caused by the aforementioned vibrations from the rough ride.

But other than cosmetic/noise issues, it's been very dependable and fun to drive. Not bad on gas for an SUV type vehicle, either. I get about 24 MPG.

Alex S

Second Unit
You can't go wrong with a Honda.
Out last 6 cars have been Honda's.

We just bought a new Honda Odyssey. It's a V6 that converts to a V3 when you're cruising or slowing down.
It gets 20 / 28 MPG.

Brad_Harper

Stunt Coordinator
The CRV is very very under powered. Load that thing up and it struggles. I don't find the interior that appealing. As for the realiability; any car is realiable if you take care of it. I would buy the Equinox myself. It has a V6 and seems to have a more flexible interior. Plus with GM's discount these days the price is right.
Sometimes I don't think the domestic brands get their fair shake quaility wise. I have seen just as many crappy Honda's and Toyota's as any domesitic brand.
Test drive them all regardless and pick the one you want.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks