Honda Civic Hybrid

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by John Berggren, Jul 8, 2002.

1. John Berggren

John Berggren Producer

One week with my new car, and aside from the looming car payment, I'm VERY happy.
    In February I read that Honda was going to add the Civic to their Hybrid line (Which launched with the Insight). They still make the traditional Civic, but finally there was a well sized sedan with high mileage and effeciency.
    My gas tank has barely moved, and I'm still enjoying watching the battery charge and assist. It's also teaching me to drive a stick more effectively, as I only charge if I decelerate in gear.
    Prior to this I was driving a '96 Hyundai Accent, so it's quite an upgrade for me. The whole experience was great, right down to the dealer handing me a third key and calling it a Valet key. Guess that's what happens when you cross the $20k mark. Of course with the payments, I won't be going anywhere with a valet in the near future [​IMG].
    I did want to share though, I'm so excited about this car. Surely some of it is just new-caritis, but the thing drives silently, and when I listen to my CDs, I'm listening to my CDs, and not the engine.
    [​IMG]
    Love it!

2. Todd Hochard

Todd Hochard Cinematographer

John,
    That's great! I've been moderately interested in Honda's hybrid (but not enough to drop the $$ for one). Being a horsepower fiend, I need more power than they currently have to offer. However, if they release the DN-X, with the 3.5l iVTEC with IMA, 400hp and 42mpg, I'll be ALL OVER that.[​IMG]
    I also read an article that the Civic disappointed on mileage. The company quotes high 40s for mileage, but the magazine test (which did not include acceleration or skidpad stuff, IIRC) only showed about 37mpg overall.
    I'll be very interested to hear how your mileage ends up.
    Todd

3. Jay H

Jay H Producer

Jay
    Congrats, I too have heard that the mileage quoted by Honda is a little optimistic, but anyway, it's still miles above anything reasonable these days and it's still early in it's lifespan. Please do keep us informed of your actual mileage that you're getting, I think all of us car nuts would be interested in your findings. Not that I'm gonna start to drive to work, I guess I get Infinity MPG since I bike to work, but I hope I start seeing more alternatite fuel engine cars while going to work here.

Did you have to order it and wait for a bit to get one and were you able to test drive it before you signed up??

Jay

4. John Berggren

John Berggren Producer

I was able to test drive an automatic in March. I orderred my 5 speed on the day I did the test drive, and picked it up last week. It had been on the lot for a week, so it took about 3 months to come in. They had predicted so much as they weren't going to actually start the 5 speeds until recently.

The 5 speed and the automatic differ to some extent. The 5 speed gets better highway miles, and the automatic gets better city driving miles.

At about 140 miles, my gas tank has clicked off 1 or 2 lights. It appears that the tank is full at 20 or so lights. I haven't counted. When I have to fill up I'll count the miles and the gallons and post it.

5. brentl

brentl Cinematographer

congrats on buying a shiny new Honda buddy.

Hybrid are slowly coming into their own, and it's good to see.

"the dealer handing me a third key and calling it a Valet key"
    Uhm.. for years they had that on Accords and up. I don't know about Civics though.
    It just gives you the option to lock the glove compartment and the truck so other drivers can't get in them.

Brent

6. Kolya

Kolya Stunt Coordinator

congrats!
    To be honest, I thought you were referring to this kind of hybrid honda. [​IMG]
    gl with the new car, and please keep us updated with real world mileage.

7. Gregory Pauswinski

Gregory Pauswinski Supporting Actor

Congratulations John! I've owned a Toyota Prius for a little over a year and I absolutely love driving a hybrid car.

Gregory

8. Cam S

Cam S Screenwriter

So what exactly are you driving then?? You never really mentioned the model of the car unless I'm really blind.

9. John Berggren

John Berggren Producer

It's a Honda Civic Hybrid 4 Door Sedan.
    The Model Name is Civic Hybrid. It's a 2003.
    I'm still in that paranoid new car stage. Parking it in the back of the lot at work, and in my garage, and not many other places [​IMG].

10. Dave Poehlman

Dave Poehlman Producer

I'll definately look into a hybrid when my Nissan wears out... if that's possible. [​IMG]