What's new

Homicide Life on the Street Question (1 Viewer)

KyleC

Supporting Actor
I got the first three episodes from Netflix for my fiancee. We watched the first episode tonight and I have to say that both she and I were really bored. I remember the show being much better than this. Was it just bad because it was the pilot? She is a huge Law and Order fan but I got this thinking it was better. Does the format of the show change at all? I don't remember the look of the show being so documentaryish.

Mike Graham

Supporting Actor
The show maintained its jittery, documentary-like style throughout its run. Regarding the plots, yes they're a bit slow at first, but the episodes do get better, especially in later seasons.

Gord Lacey

Senior HTF Member
Kyle, I thought the same thing when I started watching it again. I think I was too used to the fast-paced style of NYPD Blue - the car chases, shootouts and thumping soundtrack. I guess I grew to enjoy the style of Homicide because I'm looking forward to season 4 later this month.

Gord

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
I think the pacing is on purpose. It's what sets it appart from other cop shows, and also makes the "impact" moments more "impactful" (the weird double shots of actors saying the same line twice for emphasis is a good case point). The first season plays almost like a mini series, with each episode elaborating on the previous. Keep watching! It all pays off!

I love this show! I should be getting Season 3 this weekend, and well order Season 4 soon.

ThomasC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas
The first five episodes build up to the brilliant sixth one. Stick with it and I don't think you'll be disappointed.

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa
It's all about the acting and nothing or nobody on NYPD Blue Comes close (Although I like that show too)

Reagan

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Reagan
And check out any of the four season 2 episodes. You won't be let down.

Yee-Ming

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Yee Ming Lim
Just wanted to chime in, I bought this a few weeks ago based in part on the :emoji_thumbsup: it was getting all over HTF. So far I've managed to watch the first two episodes (only!) and I'm hooked.

I can't believe I missed out on this during its broadcast. Maybe because being a less glitzy show, it was consigned to deadbeat time-slots (even here), or IIRC the so-called arts channel rather than the main English channel. I managed to catch one episode at the time, but wasn't impressed then. Now in retrospect, I'd guess it was because I caught the middle of an arc and therefore had no idea what was going on -- which is always annoying. Watching it develop from scratch, on the other hand... :D

I can't wait to watch the rest of the set. Then I'll have to shell out for seasons 3 & 4... ouch, my wallet hurts...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks