What's new

Homeward Bound: The Incredible Journey (1 Viewer)

Ernest Rister

Senior HTF Member
Well, the original 1963 version of The Incredible Journey was not "widescreen", it was sort of an outsourced film from Calgary Ltd., produced at the request of Walt Disney. The film was shot 1.33:1

Almost 30 years later, Eisner-run Disney released Homeward Bound: The Incredible Journey, which was shot in Academy Flat (1.85:1).

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Here's a bump of a nearly nine-year old thread (and not a very informative one at that!).

I wonder if Disney would ever release a Blu-ray disc of this title...and possibly combine it even with the original film: Incredible Journey.

My wife and I watched our DVD of this the other night (shamefully cropped to 1.33:1). We had a rollicking good time. The film is quite enjoyable. The interplay between Michael J. Fox's exuberant young Chance, Don Ameche's aged, wise Shadow and Sally Field's Sassy was great fun and well done. And, of course the climactic reuniting scene at the end was an appropriate payoff.

I would really love to watch it in its proper aspect ratio with a high-def transfer. There are beautiful shots of the California mountains and surrounding areas.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Well, what a surprise I'm having tonight.

I just took possession of a copy of the 2008 DVD release of Disney's Incredible Journey (1963). I've had a hankering to see this for quite some time and found a decent price on eBay.

As I was opening the case, I realized it said "Full Screen 1.33:1." I was concerned until I remembered Ernest Rister's comments above in this thread. And as the film finally hit the screen, I realized it was "filling" the screen of my 55" Panny Plasma. So, I checked IMDB and it says The Incredible Journey was shot 1.75:1.

The shots look well-composed..but I'm the farthest thing from an expert on such things. And I guess I would be surprised that Disney would have shot anything 4:3 in 1963, but...

Anybody know anything? :biggrin:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks