HomeTheaters in College

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Matthew Furtek, Apr 12, 2002.

1. Matthew Furtek

Matthew Furtek Stunt Coordinator

Hey Everyone,

Currently I'm in college, and man, trying to keep up with HT while in college is a major pain. Started this summer when I bought my first TV and DVD player (Toshibal 32A41 and Pioneer DV-343). Such a pain to get it to my apartment, especially with 100+ DVDs.

Then when I got here, freaking school has killed me, of course my addiction to DVDs and HT still grows. Recently just bought a LD player and the Star Wars and Indy Trilogies in WS... but have I had a spare moment to watch them? NOPE! (probably should just spend all the time I lurk here to watch movies). To top that off, my girl doesn't understand the need... and so she's fighting the battle to save me from being a HT nut. So far she's convinced me that buying 2 LD players wasn't a good idea (despite the fact that one can break).

And to top it off, my roomates don't embrace widescreen... and find my advocation of it somewhat annoying. Most argue that they are watching the same movie, plot, and what's on the screen does not matter.

Of course they say this, and they mock me for buying LD and player, and then I come home to them watching "The Fugitive WS" or "Jurassic Park WS".

Only thing I wish I had was a nice HTB set because LD sound passed through to my analog TV is awful. The music is so loud compared to the center channel. This summer I'm definitly thinking about getting the new Kenwood HTB when we move into our new apartment.

Wow, anyways, was wondering about everyone elses experience with HT in college was...

Matthew Furtek

2. Chuck C

Chuck C Cinematographer

So lemme get this straight...you don't have a 5.1 setup yet? I have it a bit worse (or better, I see it as better). I have the full treatment and it's in a dorm! Luckily, I was able to convert my roommate; he can't get enough of it. He even bought a better HT than both of mine combined. My buddies like it too. However, there's NO room at all. To clear up the DVD problem, I bought CaseLogic brand DVD albums. They hold 40 each with, and you can add about 5 2-DVD sheets.

Next year it's on to a house here at college, and dare I say, we'll have SVS up in dis! That's right, my roommates are gonna die when they hear how awesome my system will sound.

Anyway, it's addicting, but when I'm feeling blue, I always think about HT and how it's the greatest thing on earth (besides girls).

3. Bill Balcziak

Bill Balcziak Supporting Actor

4. Dennis Reno

Dennis Reno Supporting Actor

14" color KTV and a 2 head Samsung VCR. That was nearly 15 years ago so the VCR made me kind of a stud [​IMG]

5. Scott L

Scott L Producer

Click on the pic in my sig for my theater. Living at home and this is in the basement. I'm a full-time student who is in danger of failing out. [​IMG]
    Theaters and college sometimes don't mix.

6. Marshall Alsup

Marshall Alsup Second Unit

Hey,

I'm in college and I have a small HT in my appartment. Its pretty awesome really because I'm the guy with "the system". everyone wants to come over and watch movies and hang out. And best of all I've only had the cops over for noise complaint once in the year I've had the current setup! Now, paying for the goodies is another matter. For now I'm not buying any hardware because it's too expensive. However, its getting harder and harder to hold back on getting all the cool DVDs I want!

You know what helps me get by? Just think about how cool your HT will be when you graduate and have bank!

-Marshall

7. Andrew_Sch

Andrew_Sch Cinematographer

We just got a new widescreen TV[​IMG] [​IMG] Whoopee. Too bad I'll only be around to enjoy it for two and a half more years.[​IMG]

8. Duane Robinson

Duane Robinson Second Unit

9. Jeffrey Forner

Jeffrey Forner Screenwriter

Shortly after I finished my first quarter as a Freshman, I took a trip out to a local Best Buy and paid cash for a Bose Acoustimass 10 speaker system and a cheap Sony Pro-Logic receiver. (This was in December 1997.) That started the home theater infatuation.
    In March of 1999, I bought my first DVD player, a Sony DVP-C600D five-disc changer, and totally got lost in the frenzy of buying new movies on DVD. About six months later, I purchased a cheap Aiwa sub to supplant the lack of bass my Bose speakers endured thanks to the missing LFE channel.
    In late 2000, I realized that Bose speakers suck, thanks to the collective wisdom of this forum and the experiences with my friends' systems, which all sounded better than mine for less money. I replaced the Bose speakers with the Level III bookshelf set from Home Theater Direct and sold the Bose. The improvement was phenomenal and convinced me to invest in a new receiver (an Onkyo TX-DS575X) and a new subwoofer (and Adire Rava) shortly thereafter.
    All the while, I lived with a puny 20" RCA Colortrax monitor.
    I gradutated in May of 2001 and have since upgraded the DVD player to a Panasonic RP91, the TV to a Toshiba 42H81 16:9 RPTV, the subwoofer to an SVS 16-46PC (with the Improved Standard Driver Upgrade), and the speakers to a set of Divas by Swans. I have yet to replace the Onkyo receiver, but that will happen soon enough. Overall, college was good for my home theater, but after college has been much, much better!

10. Matt Stone

Matt Stone Lead Actor

I'm a soph and live in an apartment. Everyone thinks I'm some kinda audiophile because I have an entry level HT. I've probably invested 3000 or so the last couple of years on it, so everyone thinks I'm nuts...I always say, "Take a look at the guys on the HTF!" [​IMG]

11. Anthony Moore

Anthony Moore Supporting Actor

Im a Junior now at Univ of Florida.
    As a freshman, I lived in a dorm, and had a 5.1 setup with a pretty good Technics receiver. We had pioneer speakers as rears and center, and 20 year old Fisher mains. But we had a 25" TV my parents got me for Christmas, so that was pretty cool. And as for a sub, we used my old CAR SUB! I thought it was great until I bought a real home sub.
    So jump two years ahead, Im 21 years old.......Im a junior,live in my own house which I bought and rent out to my rommmates (so i live for free!). I have a Denon 3802, a Sony Trinitron 27" TV, and my friends (who are getting into HT now too) and I are driving to Canada from Florida this summer to pick up some Paradigm Studio 40's and CC center!
    I have two jobs, and since Im on a scholarship I use all that money towards paying off my credit cards[​IMG] so I can buy more HT!
    thank you HTF for starting me on this never-ending hobby!

12. Jeffrey Noel

Jeffrey Noel Screenwriter

13. Chuck C

Chuck C Cinematographer

Hi jeffrey...what kinda speakers are those? and what did you advise your friends to buy>?

14. Jeffrey Noel

Jeffrey Noel Screenwriter

Chuck, those are actually Technics, all around. The towers are SB-T200s, the center is the SB-AFC 150, and the dipole surrounds are SB-S150. I am actually quite amazed by their sound, especially the amount of bass that comes from the towers! They may not be the best, but they will hold me over for quite awhile!

The sub is a Dayton 12" DVC with an Adire Audio 15" PR powered by a 250W amp from Parts Express, all in a 95 L encolure I built! The bass from this thing is absolutely amazing!!!

Actually, both of the guys bought HTiB's. One bought the Kenwood HTB-504 and the other bought one from Denon which includes the 1602 receiver. They were both on a budget, so I recommended the HTB-504 to both, but only one got it! They both sound pretty dang good, however the subwoofer in each system would not hold me over at all! Talk about distortion!!!

15. Chris Tsutsui

Chris Tsutsui Screenwriter

It's my 2nd year and I've been working on my home theater PC buying a lot on auctions.
    I'm more of a PC hardware guy but I've been working on becoming an audiophile. My room is only 10' by 10' and my bed is forced into the closet opposite to monitor. I can seat 3 ppl who lean against the bed to watch movies.
    The current setup:
    Hercules 6.1 GTXP pre/pro set to 4 speaker pro logic mode
    Rotel RB-870bx 2ch 100wpc power amp
    JBL S38 on custom 24" MDF stands
    Altec Lansing ACS56 4 speaker + sub for surrounds. (I have 2 surrounds in the middle of the room and 2 towards the back and sub in middle under screen)
    Sennheiser EH2200 headphones
    12 gauge speaker wire w/audioquest silver spades
    Deans 2% silver solder
    Radio Shack gold series interconnect
    Cornerstone P1460 19" CRT
    Pics of room when I just built the stands:
    http://www.angelfire.com/sports/RCcars/speaker.html

16. Anthony_D

Anthony_D Stunt Coordinator

I'm in college right now but i rent...so I havent moved my home theater for the apartment because im in teh city...at home though, I have a pretty decent set up thanks to the discover card [​IMG]

17. AviTevet

AviTevet Stunt Coordinator

I had a "HT" PC in college...

17" Digital (DEC) monitor

Pioneer slot-load DVD/CD player

Hollywood+ DVD decoder card (replaced by GF2MX)

SBLive! X-gamer

Aiwa NSX-3300 bookshelf stereo system

Yamaha MST-30's (2.1, 6W/sat + 18W sub)

My room was about 8x10 with painted concrete walls (smaller than an Ohio jail cell) and I would sit about 7 feet away from my monitor on my bed with my back against the wall like an uncomfortable couch. Every time I wanted to watch a movie I had to re-setup the room because I couldn't keep the Yamaha satellites on my bed when I slept and the cables weren't long enough to mount them on the wall. They were all pretty terrible components (except the Yamahas were decent for music) but the picture was smooth and clear with the HW+ and it could be loud! That Pioneer player had a problem with some layer changes (the Matrix, argh) where it would not just pause, but freeze, and I would have to know where the freezes were going to happen then ff through that 1 second of the movie by getting off the bed and going to the mouse on my desk. If the movie froze, I'd have to close the DVD player app, reload, chapter search, and ff... of course if I messed up then I would have to repeat. You know, I didn't realize how ghetto it was until I wrote this all out :p. I just graduated last year!

18. Mark Larson

Mark Larson Supporting Actor

I pretty much don't have a HT setup at all - i'm afraid that if i get a TV, i'll lose all the studying i actually do!! [​IMG]
    Thus, my stereo setup!
    Am moving into an apartment next week - will probably connect his TV to my receiver.

19. David Brashear

David Brashear Stunt Coordinator

In my opinion, dorm life and home theaters/movie watching do not mix well. First of all, there is no room. There is hardly enough space in my dorm room for a television, let alone a decent surround sound setup. Second, there just isn't enough time to watch any movies. Studying/attending classes and working leaves little time to watch movies. But the main problem is roommate living. I firmly believe that movies are meant to be watched in a dark silent room. With a roommate - that's pretty much impossible. Anytime he is in that room, I can't watch a dvd. I've tried to before, but it just doesn't work. It's not really his fault, I mean it's his room, he should be able to do what he wants to do in there as well, but he just has no respect for the way a movie should be viewed. While I've been watching movies he has - had conversations on the phone, played games on his computer with sound blasting, blasted his stereo, invited friends over to hang out, turned lights on for no apparent reason, tried to start up a conversation with me, asked me what movie I'm watching when the dvd box is in plain sight [​IMG]. What do you expect from a guy who has only seen his favorite movie from a highly compressed divX transfer, in broad daylight, while eating lunch, and listening to Blink 182? So my 350 plus dvds sit at home, miles a way, collecting dust. I guess I'm being picky, but I want to recreate the theater experience when I watch a dvd. Sometimes, if i'm lucky, I can watch a movie or two on the weekend when he's out.

20. Matt Stone

Matt Stone Lead Actor

Follow my advice and get an apartment. I knew from moment 1 that I couldn't handle dorm life, so it's been a nice cozy apartment from then on!