Hometheater System for under 1200

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Erik Reichertz, Aug 19, 2002.

1. Erik Reichertz

Erik Reichertz Auditioning

Hi my friend is building a home theater system, and I was doing some research for him when I stumbled across this site. I would like to know what you guys recomend for under 1200 including the receiver and the speakers. Also he would prefer to purchase this equipment at a retail store. He has reservations about making large purchases on the internet. Your help would be greatly appreciated.

2. Stephen Hopkins

Stephen Hopkins HW Reviewer
    HW Reviewer

I would look at the Pioneer VSX-D811S Receiver ($400 retail), JBL N26II mains ($200/pair retail), JBL N24II Surrounds ($160/pair retail), JBL N-Center ($150 retail), and a JBL PB-10 sub ($300 retail).

This would give him a very nice 5.1 setup for $1210. All of these prices were quoted from best buy.

Later on he could add another N-Center for a 6.1 setup, or another pair of N24IIs for a 7.1 setup, since the 811S has 6.1 DD EX and DTS ES decoding and can support 6.1 or 7.1 speaker setups

You could save $100 right off if you could convince him to let you buy just the sub from J&R for $200 w/ free shipping. J&R is a very reputable online dealer and most any one on this forum will agree w/ me on that.

You could use the $100 that getting the sub online frees up toward another N-Center or another set of N24IIs for the 6.1 or 7.1 setup i mentioned earlier.

3. Jason_Me

Jason_Me Stunt Coordinator

You can get a H/K AVR-125 or Denon 1803 with a Energy Take 5.2 speaker system for under $1200.

4. BryanZ

BryanZ Screenwriter

Okay. For under $1,200:

Paradigm Titans - $220
    Paradigm CC-170 - $200
    Paradigm Atom - $200
    Sony SA-WM40 - $150
    Yamaha HTR-5550 - $399

Total - $1,169

5. Pablo Abularach

Pablo Abularach Supporting Actor

My turn,

(4) JBL S26 $340
    (1) S center $140
    (1) SVS 25-31 $500
    (1) Pioneer 811 $300
    TOTAL $1280 (a little over but well worth the price)

Hope this helps,
    Pablo Abularach

6. Stephen Hopkins

Stephen Hopkins HW Reviewer
    HW Reviewer

Pablo put up a good system, but it wouldn' come in near $1200 purchased RETAIL. That was stipulated in the original post.

Convincing the guy to buy online might be the best first step in utilizing his $$$ the best.

7. Pablo Abularach

Stephen is right, all the prices that I posted are online, in etronics.com, which isn't an authorized retailer, but it do have a lot of variety and very good prices, I have bought a lot of stuff, like Recievers, speakers, car stereos, digital camaras, etc. It is a big internet store, I dont think you have much risk with them.

Also I'm form Guatemala, and I dont have much choice, most of my purchase have to be online.

8. JimC_A

JimC_A Stunt Coordinator

So Pablo, who is the best International shipper for your online purchases?

9. Pablo Abularach

Well it will depend on the size of the company, the service, the policies, etc.

I have to say the best internet retailers that I have used are

amazon.com
    crutchfield.com
    etronics.com
    accessories4less.com

Amazon an crutchfield are the best for me, but both are very expensive. Etronics is one of the cheapest intenet sites on the web, but it isn't an authorize dealer of anything, so you will only have like 30 days, after that you will have to deal directly and many manufacturers dosent keep the warranty if you don't buy from an authorized dealer. But I have purchased from them Recievers, speakers, car stereos, digital camaras without any problems at all.

Many people of here have good reputation on JandR.com, onecall.com and partexpress.com, although I havent purchase from them.

There are others, but for me this are the best, in which you could find almost anything.

Hope this helps,
    Pablo Abularach

10. SteveDev

SteveDev Agent

Any Bose systems that would be decent in this price range and comparable to the above? A friend of mine is having the same dilemna and is thinking BOSE.

Thanks,

Steve

11. Matt Gordon

Matt Gordon Supporting Actor

12. Pablo Abularach

I second matt opinion,

If bose were cheaper, maybe it could be an option, but at that price range, you could easily build a better system.

13. Matt Lopp

Matt Lopp Extra

Aieee! No Bose.

14. BryanZ

BryanZ Screenwriter

15. Pablo Abularach

I don't want to disagree with you guys, or even start a never ending tale with bose.

But for me Bose is bad because of the price range and for what you get for your money, but I think there are a lot of mini satelites speakers in the market that don't sound so bad (at least in movies)

You can get a better sounding system for the amount you pay for a bose system, or even less.

I think if I could get a Bose system for about $400-500 I will use it in my computer.

Once again I dont want to start a fight, I have read many forums about this, but this is only my opinion.

16. Erik Reichertz

Thanks for all your advice everybody. I talked to my friend and I won't be able to get him to buy online. His dad is buying for all this and would be unwilling to purchase on the Internet. He also said he would be possibly willing to spend up to 2k. What you recommend in that price category?

17. Erik Reichertz

Oh yeah prefably could this stuff be either from best buy and ciruit city. Thanks. Thats really all their is in our area.

18. KirkA

KirkA Agent

Yamaha 5560 or Denon 1802 $350
    JBL NSP1 250
    Adire Rava sub 400
    Cables, wire, shipping 200

19. Pablo Abularach

For $2000

Reciever
    Denon 1802 or maybe 1803 $400
    Or Maratz SR5200 $500

Speakers
    Four S38 $560
    S center $140

Subwoofer
    SVS 25-31 PCi $500 (online or by phone)

Cables $100-150

Hope this helps

20. Adam Bluhm

Adam Bluhm Supporting Actor

I'd recommend JBL's Studio line as well. However, you're probably paying top dollar at Best Buy. You could always look at JBL's Northridge line instead. Be sure not to mix Northridge and Studio line JBL's.