What's new

Hometheater Question (1 Viewer)

Luis_C

Auditioning
Well, my dad wants to get a hometheater for our new coming house. He says that he would pay $3000 but he would like to don't use that much. (For get a TV) Maybe just $1300 US. I was thinking in Bose. But I had some questions. For example, there is the Acoustimass® 16 home entertainment speaker system $1300 US. But it is only the speakers.. But I don't see a problem there, also there is another option that is Lifestyle® 38 home entertainment system for $3000 US. But, yes, it has some other features as Lifestlyle Media Center, uMusic, etc. But will the quality of the sound really change? Also, this isn't really a choice, (because is expensive) but I was wondering about the Bowers and Wilkins Speakers for Hometheater, what equipment for it would go great? How much? And would be better than Bose? Also my dad liked Bose because he could have other rooms with music. But I'm sure that isn't the best choice. Any recommendations for buy a hometeather, music in the garden and in front of the house?

Thanks for your time,
Luis

Tony Loewen

Stunt Coordinator
I think most people would tell you to stay away from Bose. For the price you pay you do not get very good quality. I think $3000 should be enough to get you started. If you have the room for it, and can control the light in the room (few windows, able to make the room very dark)I would suggest a digital projector. I paid about $2500 canadian for my sanyo Z2, which is high def 720p, and at 98" it is crystal clear. The Z2 can be much cheaper now that the Z3 is out, I think around $1300 US, plus there are alot of other very affordable projectors out there now, a few under $1000.

As far as sound, I would suggest getting a good quality receiver 5.1 minimum, 7.1 recommended. Alot of receivers have multi-zone capability (music in other rooms). They vary in price, so shop around. I went with an Onkyo 7.1 receiver, and paid a little extra for THX certification. Then get a decent set of matching speakers for the theater. They don't have to all be the same, but they should be same manufacturer and similar style. This helps the sound blend from one speaker to the next while watching movies.

Good luck, and have fun.

Ryan Leemhuis

Second Unit
Entry level denon receivers can do a second room audio thats not tough to achieve. But yes, those setups are too expensive for what you get in my opinion. You would do better getting him a entry level receiver and buying some speakers that fit your needs. Some receivers to look at would be the following:

Denon 1705
Pioneer 1014
Harman Kardon 235

I would probably look most at the denon personally as I think it gives quite a bit for its cheap cost although the pioneer is a good deal too for the price.

Please tell us some of the conditions for speakers to help with suggestions. Does he need them to be super small? Can they be medium sized bookshelfs? This is critical

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Luis (and everybody else), you're asking for specific purchasing advice in a Basics-area thread. As a result, the thread has been moved to A/V Sources, where, among other things, complete systems are discussed. Please use the Basics area only for asking about home theater basics (and not for advice on what to purchase -- go to the appropriate hardware section for that).

John S

Senior HTF Member
So what exactly is your budget? Do you need display and audio both for that budget?

With $3000 there are a million ways to divide up the expendatures.

So the room will be dedicated for Home Theater?

Is awesome DVD performance the goal?

Or will there be lots of other stuff needed for Cable TV? Digital Cable? Satalite? HD OTA or via one or more of these other medium?

Is you goal to have a true theater like experience both audio and video wise?

Lots of questions, I know... But I think you see my logic here? Because there are so many ways to divide up the expendatures, knowing your goals will help some.

Luis_C

Auditioning
Agreed that I should have gave more info so do I.

Exact Budget: $1,400 - $3000

The room will be dedicated for home teather and maybe a desk so you can do stuff there. And hear to music. (What a dream really but cool)

I will do research on the TV later, because it's what changes more and I think that it would be the last thing for now. But suggestions are really welcome! :D

The speakers: Small or Medium. But is one priority. (More smaller the best) So everything should be small or medium because my mom...

Awesome DVD Performace, Well, I think, as Bose or better. I'm sure that it will be more used for music. (By me) What I would really love is to have music in low volumes and you can enjoy the music, I mean, low music, but good bass response. I will have DVD, Cable TV, and Satellite.

What is more important for me in this case is the audio. Because is what I would use more and I will buy it first.

Luis_C

Auditioning
Agreed that I should have gave more info so do I.

Exact Budget: $1,400 - $3000

The room will be dedicated for home teather and maybe a desk so you can do stuff there. And hear to music. (What a dream really but cool)

I will do research on the TV later, because it's what changes more and I think that it would be the last thing for now. But suggestions are really welcome! :D

The speakers: Small or Medium. But is one priority. (More smaller the best) So everything should be small or medium because my mom...

Awesome DVD Performace, Well, I think, as Bose or better. I'm sure that it will be more used for music. (By me) What I would really love is to have music in low volumes and you can enjoy the music, I mean, low music, but good bass response. I will have DVD, Cable TV, and Satellite.

What is more important for me in this case is the audio. Because is what I would use more and I will buy it first.

BTW, I have seen Denon Receivers and the Nad L 53 DVD/CD Receiver, what I was not very sure it's about if it would need an AMP.

John S

Senior HTF Member
Denon 3805 AVR
NGT SB3 speakers
Velodyne DR5000 sub (Or a CHT-15 if you can find one still)

Closer to $3K than $1400 for sure.

I hate to bad mouth Bose as so many do. But I/WE are try'n to save you here. Bose is generally only considered good, by people that do not care about audio in general. Every experienced and/or enthusiast I know including me, holds Bose in the lowest of regaurd.

It sounds like you may also need a DVD Player, Sat Box, and I would assume your cable company will provide a Cable/Digital Cable/HD Digital Cable box for you.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks