Hometheater Installer

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Billy Posey, Jul 2, 2001.

1. Billy Posey

Billy Posey Second Unit

I need help seriously. I am currenty a 28 year old college student working on getting an associates in electrical engineering, an associates in Electrical technology and electronics technology and possibly an associate in carpentry.(working on the electrical technology associates so I can be an electrician while working on my electrical engineering degree.) I so badly want to be a home theater/home automation installer. I been an audio enthusiast since I use to draw pictures of how my father connected all of his equipment when I was three years old. Once I finished all of the training and schooling, I cannot imagine anyone on the planet having a better nack for this field than I. My problem is that I do not know how to get in the door. I do not know anyone in this field or where I can meet someone. Kalamazoo, Michigan is kind of a desolate area. To be honest I am not even sure if I am taking the rights academic fields in school. I need more information so I can soon get into action and put wides smiles on all of yours faces out there. Please help!
    ------------------

2. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne
    Billy,
    As a former pro-audio installer, I think you’re on the right track. From an installation standpoint, there are more similarities between professional and residential installations than there are differences. A knowledge of electricity, carpentry and electronics are all good things to for a home theater installer to know. Other skills include working with drywall, soldering, making custom cabling, basic telephone wiring, computer networking, working with and terminating RF cabling (RG-6, etc.). Fabrication skills are also a necessity.
    It may seem glamorous, Billy, but home theater installation is hard work. Retrofitting a pre-existing house for a system will often mean crawling around in blazing hot attics pulling cables from point A to B, or squeezing through crawl spaces. For pre-wiring projects, you are usually at dirty, often muddy, construction sites. If you are there pulling cable in the dead of winter or summer, the temperature extremes insure misery.
    An installer has to have an eye for detail. I also did some professional telephone work, and it was amazing the amount of haphazardly installed phone jacks I would see—crooked, hanging off the wall, two jacks side by side with one higher than the other—and no one seemed to care, not even the occupant of the office. That kind if “crapsmanship” won’t cut it in home theater installations. Since you are dealing with people’s homes, anything less than perfection is unacceptable, and you have to be able to satisfy demanding homeowners who scrutinize every detail of your work. Therefore it helps if you are something of a perfectionist yourself.
    On the positive side, it is extremely gratifying to behold your finished work and to hear the accolades from the happy customer. You will never suffer from boredom; every day has new challenges to meet and every job is different and interesting in its own way. It’s fun getting hands-on the latest and greatest gear, and it’s pretty cool to be able to tell your friends, “You should have seen this system we put in at a doctor’s house out in (name the most expensive neighborhood in town).”

3. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne
    I guess Billy decided to go to law school instead!

4. Billy Posey

Billy Posey Second Unit

No I did not decide to go to law school. It just has been a busy past few days. Wayne, I never think this career as something glamorus, Its just something that I have a strong interest in. I have been working with electronics and electrical hardware for as long as I can remember. I attened a technical high were I learned to build airplanes and work on the electronics of airplanes. I frustrated my father while I was growing up, by taking everything apart to learn how it work. My major in college is an electrical engineer, but I am working on an electrical technology, carpentry, and electronics tech, associate degrees, because no one has been able to expect as an engineer. I want the prestige, advancability, and understanding of an engineer. But I also want to do some of the hands on work, I like doing it. I am never happier.
    This is what I would like to do as a carreer, job or however you see it. I want to teach the prospecting customer about there choices, help them decide what they want. help them buy it, install and implement. In a way I already do it for friends and family. Many have asked me to help pick out equipment and tweek it for them. I have even done it for my family. While attending school, I currently a service managey for Fedex-ground. Almost, on a regular basis one of my fellow managers would come in and tell about the new equipment that they bought or want to by, and I always get out my pen a paper and draw diagrams, get into big discusions about hometheater and home automations, and when I am finished, everyones first questions is " Why are you working here?".
    As for my earlier statment saying that know one will have a better knack for this field than I, I would refraise it to: I can't imagine anyone having more tenacity for this field than I. I understand that always something to learn. Infact I am always wanting to learn, reading everything I can my hands on and trying to find out more things to learn.
    Anyways, I am still pursuing this field and I will be an engineer and I will be technician, I will find away to do what I love.
    ------------------

5. Manuel Delaflor

Manuel Delaflor Supporting Actor