What's new

Homemade Velo 1812 sort of? (1 Viewer)

Brad Russell

Stunt Coordinator
Anybody tried making a "homemade" 1812 set up by staking say a 8 or 10" sub on top of a 12 of 15" inch one? If you are going to have two subs should you get identical ones or is there and advantage to the 1812 set up. Maybe I'm barking up the wrong tree?

Brad

John S

Senior HTF Member
Try just the 15" sub alone, then maybe if you need more.

Even a single Velodyne CHT-15" is more than enough for most people in the sub area.

I would love to see how 2 of the bargain Sony 12" subs would push though. But for most of the people I have helped lately with their systems, a single bargain 12" is usually enough for them.

Are you thinking there may be some advantages to have'n the benefits of the tight smaller sub, along with the loose more booming larger sub?

There may very well be some advantage to that, you should try it, and get back to us with your experiences.

Kenneth Harden

Screenwriter
We have a 8" Jamo sub we bought in Melbourne (Australia) and had shipped back to Tasmania. For 50 watts and a wimpy driver, it does well for moderate level movie and music listening.

Because I have my dual 15" JBL Pro sub, I have not used the 12" bargan sub I should have had. I would like to get a 10 or 12 inch sub just to have a baseline.

terence

Supporting Actor
The real thing sure is perttie! You probaly willsee some DIYers doing something close to it.

Jerry Parker

Stunt Coordinator
Well, bass "tightness" is not determined by the diameter of the speaker.

My guess that Velodyne uses both a larger and smaller subwoofer driver is due to the fact that two drivers would suffer from less intermodulation distortion, assuming the smaller driver was crossed over and only playing the higher bass frequencies.

But if the speaker was just a single 8" or 18", I can't think of any reason why the 8" would sound any "tighter" or less boomy unless the 15" woofer and its enclosure were designed to be high Q "boomy"

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks