What's new

Homeland Season 2 (1 Viewer)

ScottH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Hanson
Yeah I thought she fully intended on going out. Unless it's some thing where she subconsciously knows what it will lead to.

Another thing about this episode...did anyone find it a little out there that Brody (VP candidate and Congressman) was the only person from the Nazir group available to take that guy to the safe house? And he did it in broad daylight using his own vehicle no less.

It actually didn't really bother me that much, but it's interesting how with '24' people used to complain to no end about it tipping the "suspension of disbelief" scales, but this show seems exempt from those complaints.

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
Originally Posted by ScottH /t/323092/homeland-season-2/30#post_3990710
Yeah I thought she fully intended on going out. Unless it's some thing where she subconsciously knows what it will lead to.

Another thing about this episode...did anyone find it a little out there that Brody (VP candidate and Congressman) was the only person from the Nazir group available to take that guy to the safe house? And he did it in broad daylight using his own vehicle no less.

It actually didn't really bother me that much, but it's interesting how with '24' people used to complain to no end about it tipping the "suspension of disbelief" scales, but this show seems exempt from those complaints.

He was the only person who had had personal contact with him. That was the issue; since being state side, he had been positioned there to help Brody complete his task. He hadn't met with anyone else from 'the cause' since being state side, so they were afraid he'd freak and think he was being ready to get killed.. which all worked out the same

ScottH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Hanson
Originally Posted by mattCR /t/323092/homeland-season-2/30#post_3990765

He was the only person who had had personal contact with him. That was the issue; since being state side, he had been positioned there to help Brody complete his task. He hadn't met with anyone else from 'the cause' since being state side, so they were afraid he'd freak and think he was being ready to get killed.. which all worked out the same

I guess that makes sense. Still seems a little outlandish for a VP candidate and congressman to be doing that in broad daylight using his own vehicle though.

Joe_H

Screenwriter
ScottH said:
Another thing about this episode...did anyone find it a little out there that Brody (VP candidate and Congressman) was the only person from the Nazir group available to take that guy to the safe house?  And he did it in broad daylight using his own vehicle no less.
Another idea that popped into my head... probably unlikely, but just something I thought of while watching... is that Nazir's group already knows that Brody's video has been recovered by the CIA (hence, the opening scene with the memory chip, where that was the only thing they kept), and so they were going to take out both Brody and the guy who made the vest in one place, and that this just makes it easier.

Michael_K_Sr

Screenwriter
Real Name
MichaelK
Holy crap, I never saw that ending coming tonight...at least not in episode four! The writing for this show is fantastic...they never play it safe. :tu:

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
You just read my mind.. this show just breaks all boundaries of how you would string things out.. it does none of it; instead it just takes complete left hand turns that throw you and leave you a bit dizzy.

Brody is one of the most complex characters I have ever seen on TV..
This show just absolutely mixes it up. Loved it tonight.

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
I almost never reply to myself, but you know, last nights episode was so out of the blue, that I have to extend my initial "shocked" comments.

I kept thinking the moment it was clear that they knew who Brody was, how does this go over? I think it was summed up quite well with "I'm screwed either way" attitude which seemed to paint it in very simple terms; if you acknowledge that Carrie was right and you let a loon that close to the VP, then the CIA gets thrown under the bus; if you don't, then you set yourself up later to get called out "you knew and you didn't arrest him?!?@?"
Carrie completely tossed a flag on the play and blew up all strategies about how to handle the situation. How well it all works out, who knows. But it was one of those rare moments in a show where it captured the audience heart. I can't tell you how many times in major shows I'd say "boy is this convoluted, why don't they.." "how come someone doesn't..." Last night completely blew up all of those audience questions because every expectation I had about this - I was prepared for a season that would go like "The Wire" where we'd monitor and trail Brody to try and find out things was completely destroyed in 3 minutes. And that scene, of her tearing Brody apart "I liked you" "I LOVED you.." for as wrong as it is on almost every angle, there is a real odd chemistry between the two where the audience had NO idea what was going to happen in that hotel room, but certainly didn't see that coming. I mean, if you asked me before hand, I figured she was going to go up there and the romance would be back on to keep him in the fold..

I also have to say I really liked the storyline around Brody's daughter; the "give him some space" element is going away from Brody, and now, his family just thinks he's kind of a dick.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Patrick_S said:
In real life there is no way they would even consider turning him into a double agent. They would bug his house, his car, his phones and they would follow him 24hrs a day but actively turning him, not a chance.
When the time was right they would detain him, see if there was any additional information he had to offer and then process him.
Well, Patrick nailed it. Point by point.
That's definitely the most audacious moment on TV in recent memory. Whether it proves to be a turning point into something extraordinary or the moment the show jumped the shark, we won't know until later. But wow.
Poor Dana. She's a good kid, and her world's about to absolutely crumble to its foundations.

Lou Sytsma

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Sytsma
This season could shift focus to investigating the bombing cover up by Estes and the Vice-President and leaving the terrorist one on the back burner for next season.
My goodness! Too bad there are not more Brody and Carrie scenes together. When they are on the screen together it is riveting!
You have to wonder how long the shelf life of the show is at this pace. Brody's time seems to be drawing to an end if the show wants to remain plausible.
Double agent is still possible - Brody and Carrie taking down Estes and the Veep!

Joe_H

Screenwriter
I was half unsure whether they were going to have her play it straight when she finally started to confront him, or if her plan was to make it seem to him like she was crazy again, and that she didn't have backup.
The former is so much more interesting though.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Just got around to watching last week's shocking show tonight mere hours before a new episode premieres (which I'll get to later in the week). It is one of TV's best, no question about that!

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
This episode could be summed up as:

In ever lie there is a bit of truth;
in every truth there is a little lie.

Brody comes clean.. kind of. How good was Carrie's interrogation? I don't know, but damn was it riveting TV

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
I wonder where they're going with the hit-and-run accident with Dana and the vice president's son. Sort of seems out of left field as a storyline, not really connected to anything else that's going on. I wonder if the accident will ultimately destroy Walden's presidential chances (as well as Brody's political career), finally allowing him some measure of peace? That's the great thing about Brody as a character; I loathe him at times, certainly I loathe many of his choices and what he did to Carrie, but I also feel for him. Likewise, Carrie has many qualities that I find offputting and even alienating, but I still root for her.
The show seems to have settled into a comfortable new formula with Brody as double agent. But this is "Homeland', so the very fact that we think this status quo will last means that something shocking is coming down the pike sooner than we might think to wipe the chessboard clean.
I'm glad Brody told his wife the truth even if it wasn't, as Matt so perfectly captured, the whole truth. Indeed, Matt's statement that "in every lie there is a bit of truth; in every truth there is a little lie" could ably sum up the entire series.

Joe_H

Screenwriter
I know that Dana could be kind of important just because of her being the closest to her father, but I can't be the only one who was hoping for decapitation when she slouched in her seat when they drove down that alley, can I? ;)
I have no idea where they're taking that either, but hopefully they find a way to not make it feel like the Kim/cougar thing. :D

Paul D G

Screenwriter
Originally Posted by Joe_H /t/323092/homeland-season-2/30#post_3995348
I know that Dana could be kind of important just because of her being the closest to her father, but I can't be the only one who was hoping for decapitation when she slouched in her seat when they drove down that alley, can I?
I have no idea where they're taking that either, but hopefully they find a way to not make it feel like the Kim/cougar thing.

Well, Dana's dating the VPs son, whose father is the guy Brody wants to kill. Now the kid is endangering his daughter. I'm quite sure Brody will find out about this and go completely non-linear. And we've seen, with the tailor, what happens when he loses control of a situation.

Lou Sytsma

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Sytsma
My guess is that the hit and run will become a lever for either Brody or the terrorists to use against The Walking Dude er Vice-President.
Man that interrogation scene between Carrie and Brodie was some of the most naked raw emotion wrapped up in spy and mind games dialogue I ever seen. Powerful stuff both in the writing and the acting.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Yes, this episode could serve as the Emmy submission for both Danes and Lewis, especially Lewis. Riveting from beginning to end.

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
Completely shocked by the scene at the Tailor's office.. I did not see that coming at all.
The young daughter who just had to go find the person they hit.. I could see someone having that moral impulse.
Brody's friend just won't let it go. But he doesn't realize that him saying it may re-inforce Brody's CIA story with his wife.

I also liked him getting roped into a meeting in the CIA offices.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
mattCR said:
Completely shocked by the scene at the Tailor's office.. I did not see that coming at all.
I was expecting the tailor's shop to be booby trapped and them all killed in the explosion. But three men in full SWAT gear storming the shop and mowing the entire operation down in broad daylight? Definitely didn't see that coming. Once again the show jukes when you think it will jive.
The young daughter who just had to go find the person they hit.. I could see someone having that moral impulse.
Morgan Saylor is acting the crap out Dana's storyline. But I'm still not seeing how it ties in. The Chekhov's gun principle dictates that it's going to have to tie into the larger storyline sooner or later.
Brody's friend just won't let it go.   But he doesn't realize that him saying it may re-inforce Brody's CIA story with his wife.
When the CIA politely tells you to let something go, you're either very brave or very stupid not let it go.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks