What's new

Home workout machines (1 Viewer)

Max Knight

Supporting Actor
Read the book "Beyond Brawn" and the associated exercise form book by Stuart McRobert. Everything you need to know is in there.

Chris Tsutsui

Screenwriter
You have your own personal trainers now.

OK this week were gonna work those abs!

If I was starting out I'd maybe go with 25 crunch sets. I remember I used to do 4 sets of 50 crunches in high school. If your not in shape and you try that it may cause a burning sensation and sorness afterwords. :) (No itching though)

Steve_Tk

Senior HTF Member
Just remember those guys in the commercials for things like Bow Flex work out with free weights, then get the job to 'pose' for bowflex.

Greg_R

Screenwriter
Real Name
Greg
Ok to do them every off day, or just twice a week?
I only lift twice a week & only 1 day for each muscle group (1 day lower body, 1 day upper). I have a 3rd day of circuit training which is more cardio oriented (vs. maxing out on weight). If you use proper form and train to failure then this is enough (cardio 4 times a week). Do NOT lift every day... this is overtraining and will cause either injury or slower results. You will want to slowly work into a routine over 4-6 weeks (i.e. start maxing out at the end of that time). This will allow your joints to build up and take the strain (plus it allows you to practice proper form).

Good luck!

James~P

Stunt Coordinator

^power muscles^

"bowflex" style commericals.

basically just guys with very low body fat and some juiced up biceps. i'm sure they have some strengh, but not REAL power...they're more out to look good

James~P

Stunt Coordinator
what i'm saying is that the people you see on commercials are going for perfectly toned bodies, not power.

look at the pictures, which one is more pleasing to the eye? and which one do you think could lift more?

all i'm saying is that bowflex guys arent powerhouses, just lookers

Armando Zamora

Second Unit
Real Name
aromaz odnamra
Just because you have an "athletic" physique and not a "strongest man" physique does not mean that you do not have strength and power.

Ever look at the physique of world-class sprinters. Those guys have extremely low body fat, are hella powerful, and for some, look like Mr. Olympias.

Max Knight

Supporting Actor
Just remember, working to failure means working until you can't do another rep with perfect form! Don't compromise your form.

Once I learned the error of my ways and started concentrating on form over weight I dropped a lot of weight from my core exercises. But you know what? When I do those exercises now I feel stronger. I'm totally in control of the weight. No shifting around on bench, no jerking and hunching. Just smooth power all the way. I'm pushing less weight, but I'm making much faster gains and feel much better. And eventually I'll catch up to where I was before, but have a real solid foundation behind me.

Chris Dias

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Chris
I have a question about not working out everyday. I mean I remember learning in high school about recovery time and all of that for your muscles. But how can it really hinder you to work out everyday? I'm just thinking that everytime you hear abobut an actor like let's say Tobey Maguire or Linda Hamilton who has to get in shape really quickly for a role, they always say that they worked out for something like four hours a day everyday.

So really my question is, besides maybe injuring yourself because you mave have worked out to hard the day before, Is there really any harm to working out everyday?

Thanks,
Chris

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
Working out every day is not the problem, working the same muscle groups every day is.

Those who workout every day use split routines i.e. chest on mondays, back on tuesdays, abs on wed and so forth.

Edited to answer your first question:

--
H

Jack Gilvey

Senior HTF Member
Thanks all!!! I'll be all buffytastic in no time.

What sort of diet is most recommended while doing this sort of workout? Not building huge mass, just toned/cut. Is it a low-carb protein diet, or the standard low-fat?

Armando Zamora

Second Unit
Real Name
aromaz odnamra
What sort of diet is most recommended while doing this sort of workout? Not building huge mass, just toned/cut. Is it a low-carb protein diet, or the standard low-fat?
A high-protein, low carb, and low fat diet would work to get you on your way. 40%P/40%C/20%F.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks