Home workout machines

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by Jack Gilvey, Aug 19, 2003.

1. Jack Gilvey

Jack Gilvey Producer

I've been kinda getting by working out with some dumbells and doing pull-ups/pushups, but I'd like to get into a more balanced regimen, one in which I know I'm working what I should. Not looking to bulk up, just to be toned/cut. Is there a machine that you guys would recommend, one on which I could spend an hour or two twice a week and get a good, balanced workout? Soloflex, etc?

2. Gregg Shiu

Gregg Shiu Second Unit

It's been a while since I've used one, but the ergometers (sp?), aka rowing machines, that we used in crew are terrific all-around workouts. You won't be able to get the same type of specific strength workout you might from freeweights or a Bowflex or whatever, but it will help improve strength, endurance and a bit of flexibility. And, IIRC, they usually have a fan to blow cool air on you during the whole time you're using it.

3. Benny G

Benny G Second Unit

!!!

There is no substitute for free weights. You can do almost ANYTHING with free weights (dumbbells or barbells). You can get a "more balanced" workout by using free weights than you can using ANY machine.

Before you consider purchasing some machine, I strongly suggest looking further into free weights. What equipment do you have right now?

Would you post your current workout routine?

Perhaps an even more important thing to consider: If you are not looking to bulk up, rather only tone/cut, your DIET is more important than your workout routine.

4. Matt_R

Matt_R Stunt Coordinator

I agree with the free-weights... I have a bench a bunch of dumbells. That's all you really need. You can do squats, lunges, various chest exercises, back exercises, etc etc with a simple bench and dumbells. I've been working out for about 3-4 months and my gains are amazing. Both in strength and visual gains.

Another nice thing with the dumbells is you don't need a spot.

5. Greg_R

Greg_R Screenwriter

Greg

6. Reginald Trent

Reginald Trent Screenwriter

I think the TOTAL GYM would be right up your alley.

7. Jack Gilvey

Jack Gilvey Producer

Thanks guys, I didn't know free weights had that big an advantage! I don't know what to call the components of the workout I'm doing now, so I'll try to look them up and list them. You can than perhaps recommend what I should be doing. I've got 20,30, and 40lb dumbells (don't use the 20's anymore), one of those floor contraptions for doing pushups the "right" way, and a bar across the doorway for chin-ups/pull-ups.

I eat mainly potato chips protein.

8. Bill Griffith

Bill Griffith Supporting Actor

BowFlex, best damn machine there is out there. It holds clothes better than any other machine.[​IMG]

Seriously, they're right Free weights are the way to go if you have the space. If your looking for a machine, the bowflex is the most versital, and mimics the range of motion and control needed when using free weights.

Free weights however are not good for hanging potted plants on or Clothes.

9. Gregg Shiu

Gregg Shiu Second Unit

10. Joe Szott

Joe Szott Screenwriter

I use a Crossbow, it is basically a Bowflex clone made by Weider. It is very well built, does everything a Bowflex does, give a nice workout, and costs 1/2 as much as the Bowflex. Basically, Weider has built Nautilus and weight benches for eternity, when Bowflex started eating away their sales of said products, they decided if you can't fight 'em join 'em. They carry Crossbows at Sears, so you can see one there if you like.

If you consider Bowflex at all, do yourself a huge favor and look at a Crossbow. Even my wife works out on it, it's very convienent.

11. Benny G

Benny G Second Unit

12. Jason Kirkpatri

Jason Kirkpatri Second Unit

Free weights - barbells. Why? Because your anxilliary muscles come into play on the basic movements. With machines, you force the weight through the movement. With free weights, you control the weight through the movement.

One other note, with any excercise, focus on the negative range of movement and the peak contraction. For example, a basic hammer curl would involve a peak contraction hold (two seconds or so) and a slow negative movement (from peak contraction down to full arm extension).

Dumbells and free weights make you focus on form. Quality is better than quantity. There is a huge number of sites and magazines that are available on this subject.

13. Holadem

Holadem Lead Actor

14. Jack Gilvey

Jack Gilvey Producer

Thanks for the expertise, I'll stick with the free weights.
    Here's what I do now, for no particular reason: Dumbell concentration curls, floor flys, one-arm triceps extensions/raises and push-ups.
    Can someone suggest a better regimen based on dumbells and pull-up/pushups?

15. Benny G

Benny G Second Unit

First of all, don't forget: If you're just looking to tone/cut, your DIET is more important than your workout routine. You'll need to lower your body fat % to get your muscles to become more distinguished.

1) You should definitely add pullups to your routine. If you aren't strong enough to do many, do negatives. (Jump up and hold yourself above the bar, then lower yourself gradually for 15-30 seconds.) You could use palms towards or away from you. When you do either, try to squeeze your shoulder blades together and focus on your back muscles.

2) It would be wise to invest in (or build) a bench. Normal bench press is a much better exercise than flys. With a bench, you can do many things besides the standard bench press. (close grip bench, dumbbell rows, etc)

3) Pushups: Do hands farther out for chest workout, hands closer together (and elbows in!) for tricep workout. Elevate your feet for harder pushups.

4) Military/shoulder press!! None of the exercises you listed work the shoulders to any significant degree.

5) Toning/cutting does NOT mean you should do more reps per set. Any sets of more than 12 reps are a waste. If you can do more than ~12, you really should move up in weight. I'd recommend sets of about 8 (it helps a lot to change sets/reps/weights every now and then).

6) Do exercises for every part of your body. That includes legs!! Try to do more exercises that involve more muscles (pullups, pushups, bench press, military, etc) and fewer isolation exercises (tricep extensions, curls, etc).

7) Have fun!!

8) DIET is more important!!

9) http://www.exrx.net/Lists/Directory.html --- for MANY exercises!!!

16. Benny G

Benny G Second Unit

Here's what I would do for workouts:

You can do full body workouts or isolation workouts (focus on one or two muscle groups). Both have their benefits.

I'd recommend full body for you just because it's simpler (and arguably just as effective).

Exercises:

1) Pullups (palms away)
    2) Medium-wide hand spread pushups (elevate feet if too easy)
    3) Small hand spread pushups (elbows in!)
    4) Military press
    5) Standing curls
    6) Tricep extensions
    7) Dumbbell rows

I'd recommend 3 sets of 5-10 reps, no more than three times per week.

You REALLY should work out your legs as well...they're just as important - not only for getting strong legs, but for stimulating entire body muscle growth.

17. Jack Gilvey

Jack Gilvey Producer

Benny, thanks so much for taking the time, very helpful! That'll be my next workout. What do you recommend for legs?

18. Jack Gilvey

Jack Gilvey Producer

Been doing that workout for a few weeks now and am very happy with the results! I was very sore after the first time, which told me I was hitting muscles I hadn't touched before. Thanks Benny!

19. Greg_R

Greg_R Screenwriter

Greg

20. Jack Gilvey

Jack Gilvey Producer

Thanks, Greg, I'll give those a shot. Ok to do them every off day, or just twice a week? And how about crunches?