Home water filtration

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by Dan D., Nov 22, 2004.

1. Dan D.

Dan D. Stunt Coordinator

OK, this group has experts on everything, hopefully someone can help me with this.

My wife and I just moved into a new house. We have town water and I noticed it seems to have a very high mineral content. We are getting mineral spots on our good glassware from both the dishwasher and hand washing, and there is mineral scale buildup around the bathroom and kitchen fixtures. The water has a chlorine taste to it. None of this seems too uncommon.

We used to use a Pur filter on the kitchen tap for drinking water, which is fine, but I'd like something to remove the minerals and bad taste on a whole house basis. The one condition is that I absolutely HATE water softeners. I'd really rather deal with the chlorine and minerals than that nasty, oily feeling water that they produce.

What does anyone know about whole house water filtration? There seems to be a ton of options out there. Anyone have any experience with particular brands? Recommendations and advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

2. Dave Poehlman

Dave Poehlman Producer

Woah... for a minute there I thought I was having DÉJÀ VU.

You can get a whole house filter at most any warehouse home-improvement store. It just fits in-line with your water main and you just change the filters every month or so.

3. Dan D.

Dan D. Stunt Coordinator

How did I miss that? I even did a search. Oops. Thanks for the link.

4. Peter Kim

Peter Kim Screenwriter

Okay, now I'm confused. At a family member's apartment, the water from their faucet feels very oily. Whenever I'm there and try to wash my hands with soap and rinse, it feels like I can never completely remove the suds to get a squeaky clean feel. It's almost as if there's a film of grease on my hands and face. They explained to me that they were told the apt's water was too hard.

So, does their water problem have anything to do with hard/soft water? And if so, which is it and how can it be remedied?

5. Ravi K

Ravi K Supporting Actor

We have Rainsoft in our house and it works well. Both the taps and the showers are filtered out. The outside water taps aren't.

That "oily" feeling usually comes with soft water. Guests to our house will occasionally comment that they feel like their hands are still soapy after washing them.

6. Dave Poehlman

Dave Poehlman Producer

They probably meant to say that the water was too hard so the apartment has a water softener installed.

The softener breaks down the surface tension on the water and it clings to you more, so you get that soapy feeling when you use it. You get used to it.. and maybe even prefer it. We had a softener at my old house because we were on a well and when I would go use my parent's hard, city water shower.. I felt "sticky".