What's new

Brian Dobbs

Ambassador
Real Name
Brian Dobbs
logo_htfp-1024x1024.jpg

Continue reading the Original Blog Post.

Home Video Library, Memorabilia and Tchotchkes
Brian Dobbs and Sam Posten take a deep dive into how they store, organize, and display their home theater media collection. Sam embraces chaos, Brian is way more thoughtful. They also discuss the tchotchkes and other items that bring personality to their home theater areas.

Subscribe via RSS
Subscribe via iTunes / Apple Podcasts
Subscribe via Spotify
E-mail us at [email protected].

Show Notes

Sam's Photos

image0.jpeg

image1.jpeg

image2.jpeg

image3.jpeg

image4.jpeg

image5.jpeg

image6.jpeg

image7.jpeg

image8.jpeg

image9.jpeg

image10.jpeg

image11.jpeg

image12.jpeg

image13.jpeg

image14.jpeg

image15.jpeg

Brian's Photos

IMG_20200916_103148781.jpg

IMG_20200916_103258140.jpg

IMG_20200916_103315828.jpg

'Til next time!

Brian and Sam

htfp_brian_dobbs_and_sam_posten.jpg

Last edited:

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Oh, cool. Another podcast drop. I listen to these on long journeys. I have another one coming up next month.

We had an idea for a future show. Use it if you like it...

I mentioned I never saw BEETLEJUICE all these years until the recent 4k release.

I think it was Cameron Yee who thought a "You'll never believe I never saw this film" or "You've never seen that?!" topic may be in order.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Pitchforks! Getcher pitchforks here! :)

this was so much fun.Please share what you guys use to organize your libraries and throw in a few pics of what your collections and memorabilia look like

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Movies and regular music CDs and SACDs (the most organized)

_FER6019.jpg

TV Shows and Music collections, with the movie collections that don't fit shallow shelves (Less organized)

_FER6022.jpg

And then I have a bunch more large (100 disc or more) CD collections that are in a storage room. I didn't bother with a pic. I have a third shelving unit the same as in the first pic ready to go up and clean up the clutter a bit.

Here's a pic of the actual HT earlier this year. It was in transition and more cluttered than usual, and some of the gear has changed.

_FER5945_6_7_Balancer-cropped.jpg

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Listened during my jog this morning -- made a point to halt normal podcast listening and enjoy HTF sooner than later :) Some quick thoughts:

• Congrats to @Brian Dobbs for the big move! That's got to be tough doing a cross-country move during the pandemic. Hope it's all for positive life reasons. Sorry to hear I can't do anymore get togethers with you, but hope you enjoy Washington!
  • The discussion of (a) complex, multi-faceted, deeply organized, special-cased storage methdology vs (b) chaos reaffirmed my life decision to rip all my discs. :D
  • Friends are super into geek art. I appreciate it, and always like their latest pieces, but I don't decorate with it myself.
  • I've mostly stopped buying movies until I've worked through my "stack of shame"

Last edited:

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
It’s been very interesting for me as I’ve transitioned from discs on shelves as decorations to playing back the content from my HTPC.

From what I can tell, there’s no great solution for ripping 3D content in bit-for-bit copies that will play on the HTPC setup I have. So that leaves me with about three-quarters of a shelf that will stay no matter what, and another full shelf I haven’t ripped yet, down from about six shelves at this time last year.

I think my ultimate goal is to rip everything that can be ripped and then rebuild what’s on display. Maybe keep one shelf of things that I don’t strictly need on hand to watch, but where the discs and packaging have sentimental value and would make me happy to see every day. (I ripped the stuff I liked most first so now all that’s left on display is the second tier stuff, and that doesn’t make a lot of sense to me.)

My wife loves those Funko Pops and they’ve been appearing on shelves where my movies used to be as I clear them out. I’m not into them the way she is but I like the idea of our living room being a mixture of both our tastes so I think it actually does work. My favorite framed poster took some damage during my recent move and I’ll need to get it reframed before I can hang it but that’s my plan.

All of this is further complicated by the idea that I won’t be staying in my new temporary location for more than a year so I’m not going crazy setting everything up perfectly.

But I’m loving the new freedom of not needing every inch of wall space for discs, and look forward to incorporating more of my wife’s collectibles and my posters in the space.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
From what I can tell, there’s no great solution for ripping 3D content in bit-for-bit copies that will play on the HTPC setup I have. So that leaves me with about three-quarters of a shelf that will stay no matter what, and another full shelf I haven’t ripped yet, down from about six shelves at this time last year.
Message me or tag me about it in one of the HTPC threads. This is doable, I've done it. It's not the ripping, it's the playback that's hard.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Message me or tag me about it in one of the HTPC threads. This is doable, I've done it. It's not the ripping, it's the playback that's hard.

Agreed and thanks for the offer. None of the hardware I own supports it, and I’m not looking to add new hardware, so....it’s fine. I can live with having a hundred discs on display out of a collection of a thousand.

Having about 900 less things on shelves means I can put little memorabilia items on shelves near the movies they’re from. I’m digging that.

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
Several years ago I had to forego putting my collection on display and into accessible long boxes. I keep a spreadsheet of the titles, so everything is in alpha order. The releases in special packaging have be stored differently, but those aren't too many.

IMG_20180802_213341739.jpg

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
A few years ago, I decided I didn’t want media to be primary decor. I got the CDs into plastic bins and into a closet. But then my wife decreed no more CDs, so that’s been downloads only for a bit.

Doing the HTPC let me move the DVDs and blu-rays out of the living room. They’re still in cheap media shelves, but in a bonus room, rather than the main floor.

When I buy a movie now, I make sure it has a digital redemption code and I redeem it. (I‘ve got MoviesAnywhere connected to my services, though I’m not attentive to optimal redemption strategies.) Online / streaming is the future and I’m preparing for that, even if I’m buying discs and enjoying my media pc hobby presently.

So, here’s my disc library.

950257C2-D871-496C-B078-F6CBD509692B.jpeg

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
At this point, I like the idea of streaming music services — I’m tired of managing personal playlists and disc ratings and metadata and etc. But streaming music doesn’t fit my life in some ways, so I have to stick to buying music, synced to playback devices.

I might stop buying discs and shift to all digital movie streaming with 4K, but TBD.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leif_sauce
Recent bookmarks