1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Home video is gone?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray and UHD' started by Thomas T, Aug 28, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Thomas T

Thomas T Producer

From the industry trade paper The Hollywood Reporter discussing how Netflix is revolutionizing how films are made and distributed: "But other industry players argue that Netflix should be celebrated, not condemned, for 
backing the type of movies that have become nearly impossible to finance using 
the old model, which combined 
a theatrical release with revenue from TV sales and home video. With home video gone, 
TV revenue down and the theatrical business dominated by studio tentpoles, Netflix is one of the few entities willing to finance non-mainstream movies."

Netflix's acclaimed and Oscar nominated 2016 film Mudbound was never released on DVD or blu ray (although I have a copy on DVD sent to me when I was on the 2016 SAG nominating committee), an indication that home video revenue is no longer necessary in the age of streaming and downloading. The acclaimed 2017 film Beatriz At Dinner didn't even merit a blu ray release although it got a quiet DVD release. Another reason to be grateful to Twilight Time, Warners Archives, Kino Lorber and Criterion for swimming against the current in a dying industry. Of course, there are those who will counter that streaming and downloading is home video (or at least a form of it) but those of us who delight in holding those silver discs in our sweaty little palms know better. :)

Tina_H_V, Suzanne.S and Jeff Flugel like this.
  2. Bob Cashill

Bob Cashill Producer

Sony Pictures Classics is bypassing Blu for a number of its releases, as if they have to perform at a certain level to earn one.

3. Thomas T

Thomas T Producer

:( Well, thankfully Twilight Time has a deal with Sony and as a boutique label can possibly take on some of the Sony Pictures Classics line (which does not refer to 1930s Columbia films but to current smaller indie films, usually foreign) but sadly will be greeted by complaints of "nothing for me here" or "Where is Pepe?".

4. skylark68

skylark68 Screenwriter

Timothy
    I just wonder how many of these films will be considered "lost" in 50 or 60 years...

5. Message #5 of 73 Aug 28, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 28, 2018
    Joseph Bolus

Joseph Bolus Cinematographer

I think what the “Hollywood Reporter” is referring to here is direct-to-DVD movies. It does seem to be true that the market for that is not currently big enough to support a decent budget for those kinds of titles; and direct-to-streaming is taking up the slack.

jcroy and Jeff Flugel like this.
  6. Ethan Riley

Ethan Riley Producer

Netflix is particularly notorious for not releasing things on home media.

MatthewA likes this.
  7. Message #7 of 73 Aug 28, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 28, 2018
    Thomas T

Thomas T Producer

I'm not a Netflix subscriber and their attempt to withhold their product from blu ray/DVD in an attempt to force you to subscribe ("if you want to see it, you have to subscribe") irritates me. Now, to irritate me even more, I've just found out that PBS has lost the rights to The Great British Baking Show (go ahead laugh :), I'm a fan) and the new season will be a Netflix exclusive. :(

holtge and Jeff Flugel like this.
  8. Josh Steinberg

Josh Steinberg Executive Producer
    Reviewer

Josh Steinberg
    Absolutely won't laugh, it's a fantastic show!

In that particular case, the rights situation was a little more complicated. PBS has a long-running deal with the BBC, which is where GBBB (called The Great British Bake Off over there) originally aired. However, the show wasn't actually made by the BBC, but by a production company called Love Productions. Love Productions left the BBC and signed a new deal with a for-profit network, and PBS didn't have a partnership with that network. This allowed them to make a deal with Netflix. The first "new" Netflix season aired in the UK last year; they changed three of the four hosts, with only Paul Hollywood remaining. It's still an enjoyable show but perhaps not quite as magic as it used to be. Still worth watching of course.

I think PBS would have kept it if they could. At least PBS did make a deal for the remaining seasons with the original host lineup, as those had never actually aired here. One just finished airing on PBS last week, but had actually been filmed years earlier.

Thomas T and Jeff Flugel like this.
  9. Conrad_SSS

Conrad_SSS Second Unit

The irony of this is that certain programming made directly for NETFLIX (Sony's "The Crown") is an example, have sold exceptionally well on physical discs.

10. Ethan Riley

Ethan Riley Producer

It sure did-- but they don't like to put out the Marvel shows, "Stranger Things" only seems to exist as a Target exclusive, "A Series of Unfortunate Events" never came out...The list goes on and on. Netflix is kind of unpredictable in DVD land.

11. Message #11 of 73 Aug 28, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 29, 2018
    Ed Lachmann

Ed Lachmann Screenwriter

Edmund Lachmann
    As pretty much a "classics only" person, I've found that Netflix has a pretty miserable stable of said classics, a number of which seem to shrink every year, especially the rarer stuff. I have no interest in most all new films having lost any real enthusiasm for new releases, with few exceptions, sometime in the early 80's. Too many treasures from the silent and golden age yet to uncover. I imagine the physical media may continue to exist for folks like us. We still buy it and enjoy owning it. After we're dead who know what will happen. Hate to say it, but I could give a rat's buttocks about the "contemporary" situation. Home video may be gone but collectors, archivists and historians still remain through some miracle. I ran into a large group of "flapper girls" at a TCM festival a few years back, a group of 20 somethings who talked only of Valentino, Swanson, Brooks and Jannings. It made my decade!

Tina_H_V, Suzanne.S, B-ROLL and 9 others like this.
  12. TravisR

TravisR Studio Mogul

Every now and then, the kids today renew my faith in humanity. :)

13. Interdimensional

Interdimensional Second Unit

Ed
    ...So if 'home video' is gone, and TV revenue is down, what could possibly be the reason for that? What could have caused this crisis? Where could those paying audiences have gone to?

14. atcolomb

atcolomb Screenwriter

Angelo
    There is only one reason I will subscribe to Netflix at the end of the year and that is to see Orson Welles's The Other Side of the Wind which will be shown in November. Then will cancel again like I did 10 years ago.

15. Dick

Dick Lead Actor
    Supporter

Rick
    I will not forgive them for refusing to provide Blu-rays of MUDBOUND and OKJA.

16. jcroy

jcroy Producer

jr
  17. Message #17 of 73 Aug 29, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 29, 2018
    jcroy

jcroy Producer

jr
    (Not to be too cynical).

How many of these 20 something "flapper girls" were just doing a TCM festival version of "cosplay", and not from any genuine interest in 1920s era pop culture ? Or were hired as a festival equivalent of a "booth babe" ?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Promotional_model

JQuintana likes this.
  18. Billy Batson

Billy Batson Producer

Alan
    Well apparently the younger generation is watching far less telly than we used to, & drinking less, & having less sex & babies. They're letting us down. So it's we few, we happy few, we band of brothers that love old movies, & we're getting fewer all the time.

Ed Lachmann and skylark68 like this.
  19. Ed Lachmann

Ed Lachmann Screenwriter

Edmund Lachmann
    Well, they did their homework then. Seems quite a bit of studying for a "cosplay" prank, as they knew an amazing amount about silent films and stars. They were in the line with chattel like us to see "How the West Was Won" so the "booth babe" scenario isn't very likely.

20. bmasters9

bmasters9 Producer

Ben Masters
    You're pretty much after my own heart-- all Netflix has in the way of classics is the Treks, Andy Griffith, Cheers and The Twilight Zone; if it's not one of those, you're basically out of luck!

Tony Bensley likes this.