Home VHS to DVD (I cant be the first and wont be the last)

Discussion in 'Computers' started by DennisPCJr, Sep 20, 2005.

1. DennisPCJr

DennisPCJr Agent

Before I even ask my question I should state that I am transfering old projects from video classes, home movies and old news footage. I am not copying dvds or anything illegal. I wish these tapes were on dvd and save me this headache.

I have been transfering some old tapes to my pc to burn to dvd. They are large files usually over an hour and a half. Im using adobe encore to burn them but the problem is I have a loss of quality. The dvds look worse then the tapes. There either boxy or have less quality to them overall even after I set the transcoding to 7 or 9mb 2 pass VBR. Now someone suggested I need to use divx to compress them but will that still maintain quality? Will using DVD-DL discs give them more room to maintain the quality? Or is this just something that isnt what its cracked up to be and I shouldnt even convert anything over. I can't imagine why people convert to dvd if it doesnt even maintain the sources quality. Any help I am of course greatful for. Ive already spent a fortune on software discs and hair ill have to have replaced on my head from this. If I wasnt to clear on anything please let me know.
    thanks lots!

2. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Studio Mogul

I did a search on "vhs dvd" and came up with many past threads on the topic. Take a look at some of the threads.

3. DennisPCJr

DennisPCJr Agent

Why thank you [​IMG] Some of these sound close to my problem I just have to decode them to english I understand.