Home treadmill advice.

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
I'm looking to buy a home treadmill. It will get a LOT of use. I want to get the most for my money and will be happy with a used item. Perhaps a commercial gym model? Any advice?

Adam_S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam_S
I use our apt complex models so I don't know much about it. But someone is bound to say, "get an elliptical instead" but you can't get nearly as satisfying a workout on them, imo. I'd look at Craigs list to see what's available and then do some internet research on the models you can get for a 'steal'.

mylan

Screenwriter
Philip, I.M.O. get an elliptical instead (sorry, couldn't resist!). I have a Vision Fitness X6000 DA, which is a double action model that gives you an upper body workout all while reducing strains on joints because you are not pounding the belt of a treadmill at every step. To me, walking a treadmill gets real old, real fast.

Brian Perry

Senior HTF Member
I would say your best bet would be a model by either Landice or True. They will last a long time with heavy use.

Joe S.

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Joe
We did this just recently Phil. I can't suggest models, but I can say that Craig's List is definitely your friend on this one. Because of the weight of these things, people that buy them almost have to sell locally if they need to move or whatever. Plus if a gym goes under in your area, they might dump a bunch of pro level treadmills on the market (and again, they must be sold locally.) So a $2500 treadmill might go for $750 on craig's list, all you need do is pick it up. We found a $2300 treadmill for $600 delivered, barely used and 1 year old. Works like a charm.

I would try that. Go over to your area's craig list and search for "treadmill" to see what you get. Then check the models posted online for quality and snag a good one when it pops up. It might take a week or two but you can steal a major deal on a treadmill this way.

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
Not interested in an eliptical. What are some good brands and / or models to look for? Good ones to avoid? Just brand recommendations would be better than nothing, which is what I have now.

Joe S.

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Joe

Start with googling "Smooth" and/or "True" treadmills (two excellent brands) and go from there.

Andrew Pratt

Senior HTF Member
We have two Cartier Bodyguard treadmills here at work that get used heavily on a daily basis as we have a bunch of full and half marathon runners here. I've been running on them for 6 years now and found them to be comfortable and they never seem to break down.

Bill_Weinreich

Second Unit
Phil, Sorry I cant recommend a specific brand, but my brother had bad experience with one he had gotten from Sears. It set him back over a grand (I believe it was the best they carried) and had it repaired 3 times and replaced once in 1 month. The technician told him that with his weight (about 225) they were not designed to "run" on. He gave up on them. I would try to find a reputable fitness dealer and ask some specifics for high use. Good luck.

treadmillsfs

Auditioning
Real Name
Pink
Hi there Philip, I want you to go here http://www.treadmillsforsalenow.com/, you can see there a wide selection of treadmills that will surely give what you want. Aside from seeing what each treadmill will look like, you will also be able to know what kind of it will surely suit you. IF you are interested, just go to the site and explore.

Good luck to your treadmill hunting and I hope that you can pick the best for you!

treadmills for sale | treadmills

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DaMovieMaestro