Home theatres...

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Vishnu, Mar 1, 2004.

1. Vishnu

Vishnu Auditioning

Feb 27, 2004
    I am new to home theatre subject. I live in India but here in NY on a business visit. Wish to buy a home theatre that is in range of 250-300$. Saw some sony and panasonic(600W for 249-270$). Heard that the 120V wont work in 220V circuits. Any way out?

Also which is the best option I can go for? Since i need to take it back home, it also needs to be compact. However quality is first criteria. I visited etronics and j&r however if you could suggest any better place in NY it would be really helpful. Also any free shipping outlets??

Do they have active subwoofers, s-video input/outputs etc
    Please suggest.

2. Eric Samonte

Eric Samonte Screenwriter

Mar 31, 1999
    For HTIB (Home Theater In a Box), there r actually a whole bunch available. While I haven't been following the latest trends, a 6.1 set-up would be most "cost-efficient". I know of only one made by Onkyo but that maybe out of ur budget. Active or powered subs would be the way to go but these would be bulkier than usual, not to mention heavier. Consider looking for component outs but S-video at the least. As for the 120v issue, I'm sure u can buy a step down transformer, one which converts 220 to 120 for use with US electronics.
    Now as for other shops in NY, just hang on and a lot of New Yorkers would be chiming in to give u sound advice.
  3. Steve Schaffer

Steve Schaffer Producer

Apr 15, 1999
    Sears has the Kenwood HTB-406 on sale this week for $299.

It has a passive sub powered by the receiver but I'm sure a powered sub could later be run off the sub line level outputs if you find it's needed. This HTB has larger wood-box speakers instead of the tiny silver plastic boxes usually found in this price range. The receiver has the most comprehensive set of inputs/outputs I've seen on an HTB unit, even has component video switching--actually better as far as connectivity than the Onkyo 760, which is perhaps a tad better soundwise but also $499 when it's on sale at Circuit City.