What's new

Home Theatre System Karaoke Machine (1 Viewer)

Jason Charlton

Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason Charlton
There's also the possibility that the karaoke player either disables the multichannel out if the digital coax is being used, or is also not set up properly to use the multichannel outs.

In your AVR manual, page 23 describes how to listen to the multichannel input. It's very straightforward. If you play music on your PC, do you hear it through the left/right speakers?

Louis Ahn

Agent
the music from the pc i can hear from all speakers, however I still can't hear myself when i sing into the mic. i'll try the other method that shanz posted before, thanks

Louis Ahn

Agent
"You could connect a channel from a cassette deck.Another off a CD player.Another from a turntable (as long as there is a pee-amp)Another from DVDAnother from the PC."

i'm trying these and i'm assuming the top receiver stays plugged into the coaxial while the bottom receiver goes to all those diffferent ones you suggested

Louis Ahn

Agent
i'm at a loss. The only way I can use multi channel is to use DVD inputs/outputs, and i'm not hearing my voice from the mic. I tried many variations so maybe i need a mixer. I can hear the music coming out fine from my PC, I just need my MIC which is hooked up to the dvd/karaoke mixer to produce my voice from the speakers

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Louis Ahn said:
i'm at a loss. The only way I can use multi channel is to use DVD inputs/outputs
No that is not the only way to use the MCH.We have told you NUMEROUS TIMES to connect your PC music to the LR of the MCH.Conect ONLY. ONLY, ONLY, ONLY, ONLY, ONLY, ONLY, ONLY, ONLY, ONLY the Mic to the center of the MCH.

Louis Ahn

Agent
3) "For the music part of "pc karaoke", it sounds like you have that set up correctly - using the headphone output from your PC to the Left/Right multichannel inputs. What this means is that when you select the multichannel audio input on the AVR, you will get Left/Right from your PC and center channel from the karaoke machine."

I did connect the 3.5mm black end to the headphone output from my PC to the LR of the MCH.... You can see that in the picture that I previously posted. Jason even confirmed this.. Here's the current set up where the other end of the black 3.55 jack, the red and white is plugged into the "DVD" LR. If that's not right, please tell me where it's supposed to go

Also, what do you mean connect only the MIC to the center of the MCH? ----------------------> I believe this is the more specific instruction:

"2) For "pc karaoke", the only audio FROM the karaoke machine that you want is the microphone audio. HOPEFULLY, that is available via the center channel output on the karaoke machine - again, we don't know for certain. Pick an RCA cable and connect one end to the "center" output on the karaoke machine (like you have done) and the other end to the "center" input on the back of the receiver."

Which I did. You can see that I took the RCA from one end and plugged it into the dvd receiver and the other end to the Bottom receiver "Center"

here's a pic of the MIC in case you're thinking of another mic

here's a better pic that includes the top receiver

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
The top piece is not a receiver.If you have center Only connected, then LR of the PC connected, and it doesn't work. It doesn't work.

Louis Ahn

Agent
i see. then, is there a cheap dvd player, receiver, or anything i can buy so I can sing into the mic and hear myself while the music is playing through the speakers?

Louis Ahn

Agent
nice. any recommendations on a cheap/reliable mixer are welcome since I don't know what sort of mixer I would need. Is this different from a guitar/instrument mixer b/c if that works too, might as well get that one. Thanks schan

Jason Charlton

Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason Charlton
Sorry it didn't work out the way we had hoped. It was a shot in the dark that you'd be able to isolate the mic from the multichannel output of the karaoke machine.

Louis Ahn

Agent
Hey, I'm just thankful you guys help beginners like me. Do y have any recommendations on mixers or u think any cheap one will do?

Jason Charlton

Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason Charlton
I would think any one would do, though I don't have any experience with mixers.

Just keep in mind that whatever mixer you get will take the various inputs (microphone and PC at minimum), mix them together and output most likely a stereo signal (red/white RCA). That output would get connected to the multichannel inputs on the receiver.

Since you were able to hear the music from the PC when it was connected to the Left/Right multichannel inputs, then as long as you properly set up the mixer, this should work without much trouble.

A quick search on Amazon brought up this inexpensive model (though I'm sure you could find alternatives). In addition to two microphones, there is a single stereo input (which would be from the PC). As far as I can tell, this would be a completely separate setup for PC karaoke - it would use the multichannel connections on the DVD input. You can then leave your existing karaoke/microphone setup via the digital coaxial connection for regular karaoke.

Hopefully Sam can chime in to verify that I have this correct and am not misunderstanding things.

Louis Ahn

Agent
hey jason, i bought the mixer but i'm not sure how to set it up lol

that one black plug on the very left is just the power cord and the other end plugs into a wall outlet. should be takking the other end of the black 3.55m from pc , which is red and white and plug it into the mixer or keep it plugged in the dvd receiver? some white arrows would help, like where each plug would go into.

Jason Charlton

Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason Charlton
OK, using this mixer means that for "PC karaoke", you will not use your existing karaoke machine at all. So first things first, remove the white RCA cable that connected the center output on the karaoke machine to the center input on your Onkyo receiver.

Also, if you haven't already, disconnect the RCA ends from your 3.5mm minijack to RCA cable that you previously used to connect your PC to the front multichannel inputs on the back of the Onkyo receiver (you can leave the 3.5mm end connected to your PC - that will be the same once everything is done).

At this point, the ONLY cable that should connect your existing karaoke machine to the Onkyo is the single digital coaxial (RCA) cable - the one with the fat gray connectors.

Now for the mixer.

The concept with the mixer is that it takes two different inputs (voice from the microphone(s) and music from your pc) and mixes them together into a single stereo audio output.

This mixer came with microphones, correct? The microphones plug into the front of the mixer, so that takes care of the voice input to the mixer.

Next, you need to provide the mixer with the music input.

You see the two sets of 3 RCA connections on the back? Each set consists of a yellow for video and red/white for audio. The top row are your inputs to the mixer, and the bottom row are the outputs from the mixer.

Since you're not dealing with any video whatsoever, the yellow connections will go unused.

Take the 3.5mm to RCA cable, and plug the minijack into your PC, and the other end to the top row red and white connectors on the mixer.

Now the mixer has both inputs connected. All that remains is to take the mixer's output and connect it to the input on the Onkyo.

The mixer output is the other red/white connector pair on the back (the bottom row). Use another pair of RCA cables to connect these red/white connections to the "Front" multichannel inputs on the back of the Onkyo receiver (this is where you previously connected your PC - and where you verified you were able to hear your PC music playing).

Once this is connected, you will once again, turn on the Onkyo receiver, PC, and mixer. Select the DVD input on the Onkyo, and make sure the multichannel audio inputs are selected. You should be able to play music from your PC, and speak into the microphones and hear the result from the speakers.

There is a volume dial on the back of the mixer which controls the music level, and similar volume knobs on the front that adjust each microphone. If you dont hear anything, make sure the volume dials aren't at zero.

I sure hope this works. Good luck.

Louis Ahn

Agent
the great news is that it works, but the mic doesn't sound as loud as i want it to or loud as it should when I used to have the mic plugged directly into the karaoke machine. Do you think it's the quality of the mixer that gives it an almost faint sound from the mic b/c i have to put my mouth very close to the mic that came with it and with the better quality mic that I own. Should I invest in a better quality mixer? It should be a similar set up right if i get a better one?

Users who are viewing this thread