What's new

Home Theatre Speakers advice (1 Viewer)

tbatti

Auditioning
Real Name
Tony Batti
I recently purchased a 130X7 Yamaha RXV1800 Receiver and need to buy a 5.1 speaker system. The local Soundsaround has some Sinclair speakers for $999 regular $1,999. Don't know much about them or what anyone would recommend or where to get them around the $800-$1,000 range. Any feedback greatly appreciated.

New to the forum so hopefully the question isn't redundant but I couldn't find anything similar looking around the forums.

Ennsio

Second Unit
Real Name
Chris
Tony, welcome to the forum.

I've seen and briefly listened to Sinclair Audio speakers at Soundsaround, but they are not a brand that you hear much about at all, and I've never seen a review of their speakers in a respected audio magazine. I'm guessing you're in Canada too since there are not many Soundsarounds.

From my experience, I would be very cautious with buying anything from Soundsaround, and especially to not buy into their hype with dropped prices. Their salesmen are very pushy and try to hype you up about how great their speakers are and how low the price is, which works when you come in as a newbie that has no knowledge to counter their arguments. Once you have learned a bit about speakers and what is available at different price ranges, you come to realize that the salesmen are often feeding you a load of crap.

If you want a 5.1 system, go around to a bunch of stores and listen to a bunch of different speakers around your price range and slightly higher to see if you would rather save up a bit more for a bit better. Some good brands to look at would be: Energy speakers at FutureShop, Polk Audio, Paradigm, Totem...

There are also a lot of great online speaker companies that give you far more bang for your buck because they don't have a showroom. You can read reviews of their speakers online or get input from people on this forum as to how good they are. Some of the most popular brands are:Axiom Audio, and SVS. The SVS 5.1 system is around $1000 and would destroy anything that Soundsaround sells in that price range.

No matter what speakers you end up getting, you should get an SVS sub as they will blow away anything that you can find in your price range at retail stores. The guys here that have them are practically in love with their SVS subs (and I'm envious of them).

Ennsio

Second Unit
Real Name
Chris
I did find a review at Canada HiFi about the Sinclair Audio Brighton speakers that might be the set you are looking at. The review seems pretty positive so they might be worth considering if they have the look and sound you like, but I would definitely listen to a bunch of speakers in the same price range before committing to any particular set, since all speakers have a slightly different sound (i.e. better or more pronounced highs, mids or lows) and you should find the ones that have the sound you like best.

Here's the review:
CANADA HiFi Magazine: The Home Theatre, Home Theater, Audio, Video and Gadget Guide

tbatti

Auditioning
Real Name
Tony Batti
I found another genral review ut the models don't match from your review.

The models #'s Soundsaround has are BT25, BC25, B14 and SW 8.3 Sub

I can't find anything online in 800-1000 prce range to even compare.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks