Home Theatre Speaker Problem

beez

Auditioning
Real Name
Beez
I have a problem with my Panasonic home theatre system - Model no. SC-MT1
The sound only comes out of the left front speaker, it is a problem with the machine itself and not the speakers as I have swapped the speakers around and the sound will only come out of the speaker plugged into the specific port in the back.
The same thing happens when I plug headphones in whereby the sound will only come out of the left headphone. Also I don’t have the remote for the system, not sure if that makes any difference.
Can anyone give me an idea of what is wrong and how easy it may be to fix? I have no idea what I'm doing when it comes to fixing electronics so I guess I'll have to get someone to do it for me but just wanted an idea of what it may take to fix this or if it's even worth it.

K

Kevin Collins

Given that you say that it happens BOTH with the headphones and the speakers, it isn't your amplifier, but most likely something in the pre-processor. If that is the case, it will probably have to be fixed, but I don't know if it would be worth fixing vs buying a new HTiB.

The only other thing that hasn't been addressed is the input source. Have you tried multiple sources (i.e. DVD, FM, plugging in your digital music player, etc.) to see if it doesn't play the left channel on all those sources? If it is just one source and not other sources, then it is probably safe to rule out the pre-pro part and focus on the input source.

beez

Auditioning
Real Name
Beez
Thanks Kevin, I really appreciate the help. The same problem occurs with multiple sources, I tried playing a CD, TV, and plugging an iPod into the AUX source and it only comes out of the left channel for all.
What kind of fix would the pre-processor need? Would it need a replacement part?

K

Kevin Collins

I don't believe it is user replaceable. It's very odd as I have never heard of a problem that you are describing. I would find out if there is a local Panasonic repair shop to get an estimate to find out if it is a inexpensive part to replace or not.

Forum Sponsors

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dynz