Home Theatre Setup

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by ColinW, Nov 14, 2001.

1. ColinW

ColinW Agent

Hi everyone, this is my first post after finding the forums about two weeks ago. I am very interested in HT and I have a small theatre setup in my apartment. I currently have the following:
    36" RCA MM36100 Digital Monitor
    BellExpressVU Model 4700 Satellite receiver
    Toshiba SD2700 DVD Player
    Kenwood VR509 DTS amp.
    Polk Audio Sub/satellite speakers. 6200 sats w/ PSW250 sub.
    I have the DVD hooked to the TV using decent Acoustic Research component cables, and the audio going to the amp using an optical cable. AT the moment I am very pleased with the performance of the theatre setup and I will live with it for a while.
    I am soon going to buy a house however and a prerequisite for the new home is a basement theatre space for me. I see all kinds of your setups on here that feature projectors, pre-amps and the like. I need to educate myself a bit better on what all of these will do for my theatre experience. What does a pre-amp do and why do I need one? Would I be better off with a projector or a decent size HDTV?
    If someone could offer some suggestions or point me to a relevant FAQ I would appreciate it.
    By the way, I live on the East Coast of Canada, just so you know!
    Colin

2. Jerome Grate

Jerome Grate Cinematographer

HOW MUCH $$$$$$$ you have to spend is the question. With out knowing what you have the spend it is tough to point you to the right direction. Now as for you question in re to a pre-amp. Also known as a processor, this unit allows you hook up various components and process the audio or video the way you want it. A pre-amp processor allows you to for instance connect a DVD player via digital or analog and then process the sound to a multi channel amplifier. Pre-amps usually have DSP and the available formats such as Dolby Digital, DTS Logic 7, etc. In short it does everything your kenwood does except power the speakers. If your kenwood have what is called Pre-Outs for each of the six channels, it can bused as a Pre-amp processor.
    ------------------
    ONCE, I CONSIDERED SPARING YOUR RETCHED LITTLE PLANET CYBERTRON, NOW.., YOU SHALL WITNESS IT'S
    DISMEMBERMENT...
    MY HT PIXS

3. David Judah

David Judah Screenwriter

Welcome to the Forum, Colin. You will, no doubt, increase your HT knowledge by pouring through the posts here awhile.
    About the preamp, it is just the processor/controller, as Jerome mentioned. Some like to seperate that part from the amplifier section, so there is less potential for interference. If you do a search on reveivers vs. seperates you will find both points of view well represented.
    The display part will depend on your budget, expectations, and viewing distance among other things. Again, all the different display types are well represented here by the membership.
    DJ