What's new

home theatre setup (1 Viewer)

AlbertL

Agent
Hello Ryan:

You'll need quite a large screen in this setup - nearly 20 feet from viewing distance to the TV. What equipment do you have planned in the above diagram?

Geoff S

Stunt Coordinator
Yea, a larger screen would be ideal if you plan on having your primary seating be nearly 20 feet away... have you considered using a front projector (if possible)?

Also I'd do two rows of seating with those two sofas, and raise the 2nd row up by building a riser out of some 2x4s and plywood with a carpet covering. Just a suggestion if this is going to be a dedicated theater room.

Also the sub... if you haven't already, play with its location. In an odd shaped room, like the L shape yours is, don't settle on a sub location till you try it out in different positions, and measure its sound levels, and if you need to, upgrade it to fill the whole room.

Post some more info on your equipment, and any alternative floor plans you may have done. Keep on planning, and look at as many other home theaters you can to get ideas.

Dan Hitchman

Senior HTF Member
If this is the only large space you have to work with, I too suggest that it be a more dedicated HT.

Two tier seating would be ideal with a raised platform for the back row.

How do you enter the room? If you have enough space to work with you could isolate the home theater part better (making the shape of the room a bit more uniform for much better acoustics) with a wall that hides an equipment closet (where you have the long rectangular outline in your diagram).

Also, how wide is the room (using the shortest width in your diagram)?

I would put side surround speakers on, well, the side walls, and at least a single rear surround on the back wall where you have the sub now.

I'd definitely go with a digital, widescreen front projector and screen.

Dan

Ryan_Mk

Grip
I don't think two tiered seating would work out very well. The room is also an entertainment area. Just on the other side of the wall with the tv is the pool table, ping pong table, and darts area. Its convenient to have this room as a conversation area too.

I enter the room from the far left lower side.

The room is

10x11 for the area with the couches

12x18 for the outter area

I have a 27 inch tv right now, because I've been a bit worried about upgrading.. I was thinking in maybe 4 years I will upgrade to a widescreen with the best tech. My friend has a widescreen and my tv looks unbelievably clear compared to it.

The sub location is working out pretty well. I get huge losses when i put it up in front and when I place it there the thin walls vibrate badly.

In the current location it sounds great with the house structure taking it really well. I can feel gunshots vibrate my chest ;)

I have two 300 watt floor standing fronts, 300 watt floor standing surrounds, 450 watt subwoofer, 200 watt center.

The only thing I've noticed is lotr does bad things to my house... :b

One other thing, is it worth it to get a rear center channel? I heard few dvds have any activity back there.

One last thing, near the tv the bass nearly dies out, is this normal for the distance?

LeeH

Stunt Coordinator
1)I think have the couch sideways to the tv is a bad idea. Turning your head to watch movies or TV can be a little uncomfortable. It also ruins the imagery of the surround sound.

2)Can you move the front speakers and TV closer to the couch?

3)I think you should keep the sub in the back of the room. If your receiver, or the one you're going to buy, doesn't have the subwoofer delay control it may be more noticeable at that long throw from the front. It also looks like the wall is thin in the from, not reflecting as much bass back to you. Plus you can feel it better when it's behind you.

4)The front projector is probably the way to go. You need something big in that room and from the posts on here I have gathered that the image quality from projectors are amazing. A lot of projectors are going pretty cheap. Probably cheaper than allot of HDTV's.

5)5.1 surround sound is awesome, 6.1/7.1 is too. But, if your budget doesn't fit it then don't lose any sleep over it. Check out Pioneer VSX-D812 . You will hear me praise these receivers because I've heard them, they sound good, and you can't beat the price. I definitely recommend these if you are a newbie.

Hope this helps you out. And please don't rule out my advice because of my age.:)

Let us know how it comes out.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks