home theatre in the basement and house value

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Karen Maraj, Mar 5, 2002.

1. Karen Maraj

Karen Maraj Agent

If I put in an enclosed home theatre, with riser seats, eqipment room, the works, will this increase or decrease my property value. Assuming this looks good and professional, I don't care if it doesn't increase the value of the house, but, will it decrease it or make it harder to be resold a few years from now?

2. DonRoeber

DonRoeber Screenwriter

Generally speaking, anything that is geared towards a specific activity will decrease the house's value. This is most often applied to swimming pools, but I suppose a bowling alley or home theater wouldn't mean much to someone who didn't want it.

3. Colin Dunn

Colin Dunn Supporting Actor

I don't quite understand how a home theater would diminish a home's value, especially if it already has a full complement of bedrooms and other living areas (living/family rooms).

I've seen floor plans for expensive houses I can't afford, and some of them incorporate a "media room" into the floor plan. A "media room" is just another name for a dedicated home theater. Usually those houses are the really big, expensive ones that already have separate living, family, and game rooms, as well as 4 bedrooms...

4. Randy Tennison

Randy Tennison Screenwriter

Randy
    When I had a recent apraisal, I was told that if it is a permanent installation, and the equipment goes with the house, it can add to the homes value.

Home theaters are a big rage right now. All the newer high dollar homes have one.