What's new

Home Theatre Help needed with a new Samsung UN50ES6100F and Motorola DCX700-M (1 Viewer)

lhsrad

Auditioning
Real Name
Larry
Hi - I just purchased this Samsung TV model UN50ES6100F which will run with RCN cable using a Motorola DCX700-M. Here
is the issue - We built and wired into the walls speakers, 3 HDMI cables, Cat 6, USB, ethernet and RG6 going to the closet where the speakers wires are. I FORGOT the audio cable!! Is there a way for me to get sound from the TV via either the Motorola DCX700-M (this will be in the closet) OR via an HDMI from the TV? Should I get or do I need a receiver to power the 4 speakers that I have?
Thanks for your help.

Al.Anderson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Al
You can get audio to the TV using HDMI; so you can use the TV speakers for now. But to get sound to the speakers you'll need a receiver/amp. If you buy a new one, that will also work with only an HDMI.

lhsrad

Auditioning
Real Name
Larry
not sure I understand. So I can get sound out of the TV to the speakers via HDMI? What type of receiver?

Al.Anderson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Al
So I can get sound out of the TV to the speakers via HDMI?
Well, you don' get sound from a TV directly to speakers, your need a receiver, but other than that - yes.
But let's start at the beginning. There are a number of ways to connect components. The recommended approach is to connect everything to a receiver, and then connect the receiver to the TV through HDMI. This simple and recommended approach will work for you since your cable box has an HDMI. (HDMI carries both a video and and audio signal. Come to think of it, the fact that it carries both may be what's confusing you.) If you are like some people and sometimes want to use the TV without the receiver (most of us who hang out here think that's crazy - but then normal people think we're crazy ...) then make sure you get a receiver with "HMDI passthrough".
In some cases you have to go to the TV first (usually if you're using an antenna). In those cases you can get the signal to the receiver easily if both the TV and the receiver support "Audio Return Channel (ARC)" which your TV has. But given your simple set-up I don't think you'll need this feature.

lhsrad

Auditioning
Real Name
Larry
Thanks very much. Could you recommend a receiver that is reasonably priced?

Al.Anderson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Al
It would be better if you gave a budget. Are you okay with going with a basic receiver (using the basic wiring), or did you want ARC and/or HDMI passthrough. The two features, especially together, will usually put you in the mid tier. Ar ethere any other components you'll be connecting to the receiver?
Here's some low priced receiver that will do what you need it to do:
http://www.amazon.com/Pioneer-VSX-820-K-Home-Theater-Receiver/dp/B0039XQL2G/ref=sr_1_4?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1341225290&sr=1-4&keywords=receiver
http://www.amazon.com/Denon-AVR-1312-Channel-Theater-Receiver/dp/B004U403S6/ref=sr_1_7?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1341225794&sr=1-7&keywords=receiver
http://www.amazon.com/Yamaha-HTR-6240BL-525-Watt-5-Channel-Receiver/dp/B001S2RDAY/ref=sr_1_11?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1341225794&sr=1-11&keywords=receiver
(I didn't price-shop, I just went to Amazon and looked for the lowest priced basic receiver (new) from the major brands (Pioneer, Onkyo, Harmon/Kardon, Yamaha, Denon, Marantz). These are are good receivers with multiple HDMI inputs.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks