Home Theatre Connection advice

Discussion in 'Beginners, General Questions' started by Patrick Fagan, May 16, 2006.

1. Patrick Fagan

Patrick Fagan Auditioning

I am looking for a long run of component video cable to connect my projector (Optoma H31) to my receiver. Is "RG6U" Component cable what I need? What is the difference between this and "RG59's"?

Also, What type of cord/cable do I want to connect my projector to my DVD player? S-Video? I've been told that I am best off connecting the DVD player directly to the projector to improve picture quality. Is that the case?

2. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne
    Hi Patrick,
    I’ve never been able to tell a difference, but some people think it’s better to connect direct to the projector or TV. However, in your case it’ll mean a substantial expense for the extra long cable run, and apparently you’ll have to downgrade your DVD’s output from component to S-video. I think it would be better to keep everything component.

Running sources directly to the projector also means you’ll have to change your input on the projector, and also the input on the audio equipment when you want to use a different source. With everything going to the receiver, and a single feed to the projector, changing sources is a one-button operation – much more convenient, IMO.

Regards,
    Wayne A. Pflughaupt

3. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

Hi Patrick.

Long component cables are best purchased from a custom shop. We have lots of happy customers from www.bluejeanscables.com. The prices are below Monster retail, but the coax and connectors are sold to the broadcast-industry meaning they are compatible with 480, 720, 1080 analog signals.

My system is hooked up with Canare coax, but the Belden coax has many happy fans as well.

If you can stick with Component for everything - that is advisable. But you should run a "fish-roap" along with the cable because soon HD DVD players will become common but they must be connected with a HDMI cable. That fish-roap will let you pull other cables later.

Hope this helps.

4. Patrick Fagan

Patrick Fagan Auditioning

Very helpful, thank you. Your suggestion to run a "fish roap" is well taken. I plan to run a length of flexible conduit for that purpose. Would a 1" diameter do the trick? I don't know how large the HDMI cable that I will, eventually, have to run is.