What's new

Home Theatre Audio Difficulties (1 Viewer)

kaleb dukes

Auditioning
Real Name
kaleb
Hey Guys,

I'm having a problem with the audio outputted out of my speakers from my home theatre set up. I have a left and right Klipsh speakers and a subwoofer connected to a Denon AVR-3805. At one point everything was working fine and sounded great. Then one day, the sound sounded "washed out" . It's hard to describe, but almost like a frequency range is missing. If i listen to it for a while i can make myself believe it sounds ok. But every time i remember to think about it, something sounds very off.

Right now the equalizer is set to auto (not set up with a mic).

I know this isn't enough information to get much help.but i don't know how do describe the problem.

Any trouble shooting ideas or suggestions would be much appreciated.

Thanks for the help,
Kaleb

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Sounds like you’re hearing it from all speakers? If you have another amplifier available, hook up a speaker to it. If it sounds fine, then the issue is with your Denon

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

kaleb dukes

Auditioning
Real Name
kaleb
thanks for the response. unfortunately, i don't have another amplifier to test it out with.

yes. the problem is coming from both my speakers. i tried playing one at a time and the problem was still noticeable.

I'm listening to the sound right now. I think the best way i can describe what's wrong with it is that the audio doesn't sound crisp. rather the sounds are 'blured' together. it is subtle, but noticeable enough that it is annoying to the ear.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
You might try to see if you can return the speaker's settings to "default." This might give you some sort of indication if something got inadvertently changed that impacted what you're hearing.

kaleb dukes

Auditioning
Real Name
kaleb
that was one of the first things i did. and there was improvement.

originally everything sounded great. the equalizer was set up using a microphone. then one day i heard the problem i mentioned. I restored to the default settings and this helped a little bit.

I'm hoping now, once i borrow a microphone from my friend, that calibrating the equalizer will fix my problem. because as i mentioned it seems like there is a frequency range that's hard to hear (lyrics don't sound good).

I'm not an expert at all. and i have no idea if that will make a difference. It's just kind of my hope at this point.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
...as i mentioned it seems like there is a frequency range that's hard to hear (lyrics don't sound good).

Since you've got a 2.1 system...is there any chance the receiver output got reset...like to 5.1 or 7.1? THAT could result in some of your mid-range (for music) being sent to a center channel speaker that's not there. If you're using this system for movies, it would definitely result in the loss of dialogue.

I'd check that or, if somehow, some pre-set speaker filter got turned on (something like a pro-logic function) that is now diverting some of the sound you SHOULD be hearing to some phantom speakers that are not in existence.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
If you check out Pages 66-80 of the owner's manual (found HERE), I might suspect that one of those buttons got pushed on the front of the unit which is diverting the stereo sound to surround speakers that aren't there.

Maybe one of Buttons 12 thru 18:

full

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Or...

Maybe the "auto" function of the audio calibration has wrongly told the receiver that you've got surround speakers set up--rather than a 2.1 set up?

Just spit-ballin' here, Kaleb.

It's easy with these complicated HT receivers for stuff to happen that results in non-optimal results. I sometimes think they can be a little TOO complicated for my tastes.

kaleb dukes

Auditioning
Real Name
kaleb
Mike i can't thank you enough. The problem has been fixed. In my arrogance i had the surround set to Dobly II Cinema. Switching it to the 5Ch stereo output fixed the problem.

Thank you, as a college student listening to my vinyl is one of my favorite ways to take a break during the day. Can't tell you how frustrating it's been not for that to sound off.

appreciate all your help.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Mike i can't thank you enough. The problem has been fixed. In my arrogance i had the surround set to Dobly II Cinema. Switching it to the 5Ch stereo output fixed the problem.

Thank you, as a college student listening to my vinyl is one of my favorite ways to take a break during the day. Can't tell you how frustrating it's been not for that to sound off.

appreciate all your help.

Wow! Spending some time here in the hardware forums must be paying off! I'm so glad I could help Kaleb! And especially glad you've got things working the way they ought.

Now that we've got things straightened out, I hope you check out the rest of the forum. We've got lots of cool people here willing to share their expertise and opinions on nearly anything HT (and non-HT) related! For sure, you should check out the MUSIC sub-forum.

All the best!

:welcome:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks