What's new

Home Theather Recommendations (1 Viewer)

Delirious

Auditioning
Real Name
Brian
So I am currently looking into buying a home theater system for the first time and am a little overwhelmed by all the products and some times conflicting opinions about brands. So this is what I have so far...about a dozen receivers and a set of speakers, but I have really just concentrated on learning about the receivers and have not really touched speakers except to get a general idea of what in my mind a decent system will cost. My goal budget is around $1000 (no more than $1200, prefer Amazon, I may go A4L) for receiver, 5 speakers, and sub. I am looking for features and reliability with decent sound. Anything is going to sound amazing to us compared to tv speakers. I want 7 channel/dual zones, 3D, 4K upconversion. I have a Wii, HTPC, 3D Bluray player, and DVR. The room is 9x14x16 (HxDxW).Here are the receivers I am looking at: (if '/' then roughly same I think just newer model)Denon E400, X2000/2113ClOnkyo RC460, RC560, NR626/NR616Pioneer VSX-70, VSX-1123KYamaha V675/V673, A730I think my pick is Denon X2000/2113Cl or a Pioneer or a Yamaha. Onkyo and the E400 are lower on the list.Do you agree? Are there 1-3 that stand out as the best from the group? Any others I should consider?For speakers I am currently looking at Polk Audio TL250 with like a Polk Audio PSW10. A 5.1 setup that I can add to later is my plan. Any suggestions to also consider (small speakers, sorry no floor speakers)? Maybe like a couple of sets that are solid decent speakers? Energy Take Classics? MLK 2s or something?The plan is also to wait over the next month or so and find good deals on the parts. So if you can help me just limit it down to a few of whats recommended and prefered receiver-wise and speakers-wise, that would be greatly appreciated. Again I am really just looking for a decent system that will last long and sound awesome compared to the tv speakers.Thanks in advance for all the help!

Type A

HW Reviewer
Real Name
Ty
Welcome to the forum Brian. :)

If you can keep your AVR price below $350 that sure would help your budget in other areas. With such a budget I would be looking hard at open box and refurbs. Of the models you listed I found this open box Yammy 673 for $339 from newegg, seems like a screamin deal...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16882115410R&nm_mc=KNC-GoogleAdwords&cm_mmc=KNC-GoogleAdwords-_-pla-_-Receivers-_-N82E16882115410R&gclid=COHyocbE3bgCFWNgMgod-BQACw

Are you finding these prices for the other model AVRs youre considering?

Delirious

Auditioning
Real Name
Brian
Pretty much. I have found deals where like the 2113Cl new goes for $400 and the 673 new for $360. Honestly I am hoping to spend around $400 for a receiver and another $400 for speakers and $100 for the sub giving me some wiggle room for each category. That was my best guess price breakdown. This is for a game room/living room so it doesn't have to be superior. Just to put it on a level, my father got his surround sound for $600 like a decade ago, and it sounds awesome, sure its not amazing and top of the line, but when you watch a movie it definitely adds to the experience. That is roughly what I am going for, tired of tv speakers and ready for a decent upgrade. Basically, I could really use some help where like receiver A, B, and C have good sound quality and these features like audyssey and YPAO are a plus. Receiver D, E, and F are ok but quality is not quite there (I keep getting mixed reviews about brands and it is making it a touch confusing). Then I will be like ok I am getting one of these 3 and just price watch and once one is a great deal I will get it. I know probably not the normal request here, but this is how I buy things. I know I want it, so I just wait and find a deal, no hurry here to buy things.
So to sum it up if someone could share their wisedom and point me in the right direction, I can take it from there (fingers crossed). Maybe like what are some 5 speaker sets(or not sets but total) for $500 that you can't go wrong with? What are good $100-$200 subs?
Sorry if I am being difficult, I know this is not the normal request/recommendation compared to buy this and this and that puts you right at your budget. Thanks again!

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
The cheap subs never get cheaper. In price order...Dayton sub1000Dayton sub1200BIC V1020BIC V1220There are your 4 choices. Pick one.As for speakers. BIC DV has been around for as long as Amazon has. They were the first brand to jump ship from B&M and ride Amazon. Even if you bough 62s you are only spending $350-ish. Buy 52s you are spending $220-ish, or some variation of both. There are no other speakers, at all, anywhere, to compete...for the price.I would pick the Onkyo 515 or 616. Especially since "cheap as possible" and you have a Wii(you need HDMI upconversion) almost dictates buying an Onkyo.Unless you find a price lower on the Yamaha 673/675/671(doubtful to ever find any of those for under $350...even refurb)Denon doesn't offer the features you want under $450.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
By the way "4k upconversion" doesn't mean anything. You are confusing two separate and totally unrelated features.HDMI upconversion is taking analog video(composite and component) and adding it to the HDMI output.Upscaling is taking 480, 720, 1080 and upscaling to 4k.And you may even be confusing 4k scaling with 4k passthrough, not the same thing.

Type A

HW Reviewer
Real Name
Ty
schan1269 said:
.Unless you find a price lower on the Yamaha 673/675/671(doubtful to ever find any of those for under $350...even refurb)

Thats why I linked the 673 for $339 in post 3. ;)

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Yeah, but would you take the 673 over the Onkyo 709?Yes the 709 can still be found.Even the 708 can be found for $400($350 used).Basically is the 673 worth buying when you can spend $400 on something even better...

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Besides, he's ruling out NE and Ebay.If I were doing this. I'd look for a used Onkyo 608 on Ebay. The X08 Onkyo still haven't recovered their values on the used market because of the lingering effects of the recall.

Delirious

Auditioning
Real Name
Brian
Thanks for the suggestions. I will look at Onkyo more. And thanks for the clarification, I see my mistake in my original post. Also, I simply prefer Amazon because I have about $800 in gift cards on my account, and was trying to use that for this.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
No problem on gift cards. But a screaming good deal on a used AVR trumps a gift card...which could then be used on a better subwoofer.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks