Home Theater with Computer setup

Discussion in 'Beginners, General Questions' started by Scott_A, Jul 23, 2004.

1. Scott_A

Scott_A Auditioning

I am new at this so I am sorry if I sound like a complete idiot. I have some Logitech Z680 5.1 surround speakers I have connected to my computer. I know that I can connect them to a DVD player with a Optical or Coax cable but how can I get them to work with my TV? I have a Sharp 19" TV in my room that I would like to beable to have the speakers hooked up to (I understand thats not a home theater). The TVs only apparent outlets are for the Cable and the Yellow Video in and the White Video in. Is it possible to hook this up to my speakers? (I also have a AUDIGY 2 ZS Platinum soundcard with like endless amounts of outlets so possibly I could hear TV with my computer on?) Anyways is there something I can buy that will allow my speakers to connect to this non-stero TV? Thanks.

2. John S

John S Producer

Easiest way to do it, is to buy a cheapie stereo hi-fi VCR to feed the setup with. At least then you can get some surround, and half decent sound.

3. Scott_A

Scott_A Auditioning

Is it possible to do this with a DVD player?

4. Scott_A

Scott_A Auditioning

Or any non-expensive equipment which the only function is to feed the sound?

5. John S

John S Producer

Well cheapie stereo hi-fi VCR's are as cheap as it gets.

The problem is you need an NTSC tuner, which Stereo Hi-Fi VCR's have. I swear I have seen them go for less than $25 new. DVD players do not have NTSC Tuners in them typically.

6. Scott_A

Scott_A Auditioning

Okay, thanks.