What's new

Home theater website updated - stage, htpc and more (1 Viewer)

gregstaten

Supporting Actor
Just posted this week's update. I have a new photo page with shots from last week's construction. The stage and rear platforms are installed and I've included not only framing photos but photos of the cross-section of the top of the platforms (three layers of plywood and two layers of felt).

Additionally, I included a page on the HTPC I'm building for the room, including links to all the relevant parts. I was able to score one of the Callisto cases at Digital Connection - can hardly wait until that puppy arrives!

-greg

Scott-C

Supporting Actor
Lookin' good, Greg! I take it you have contractors or someone else doing a lot of the labor? However you're doing it, I admire the pace of your progress - very impressive!
What kind of floor did you have to start with? I ask because you mention it had to be reinforced to support the weight of the sand. How did you reinforce it?

RAF

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Greg,

Once again, excellent shots! I can't wait for "Part III"

gregstaten

Supporting Actor
Scott, I'm using a contractor. Things have been so busy that I would have barely made any progress myself!

Regarding the floor, the theater is being built above the garage. The floor was built with standard joists and probably could have handled the weight, but an engineer suggested some relatively minor reinforcement. I'll take some photos of it and put them in the next update.

Note - the next update may not be this weekend. This week the electrician is running all the wires (high and low voltage) and then the inspector checks it out. Construction is on hold until the electrical inspection is complete. (The room has a dedicated 100 amp panel with every bit of power in the theater -- lighting, equipment, etc -- coming off of the same power leg/phase.)

-greg

It's not the weight of the sand that is at issue...it's the pounds/sq foot that the engineer needs to check out. I'd suggest the weight of the sand is less than the weight of a water bed.

Sonnie Parker

Second Unit
Very impressive Greg.....and such a great idea!

It takes a lot of dedication to do what you are doing and do it so right. Looks like you got it.

I look forward to seeing the stages completed and the finished theater. I know you are excited.

Good luck!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks